HELP!!! 02 Mustang Gt Annoying popping grinding noise from the rear - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang > 4.6L General Discussion
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! 02 Mustang Gt Annoying popping grinding noise from the rear

4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

HELP!!! 02 Mustang Gt Annoying popping grinding noise from the rear

Old 12-28-2015, 08:00 PM
VTXCO

Originally Posted by fastbackford351 View Post
I misread your first post. I thought you were getting the grinding and popping in the turns. Don't drink, read and post.

I just listened to your post... sounds like grinding. Brakes?

Hell, I don't know. Start cutting the legs off of the elephant.

Put it on jack stands and see if you can replicate the problem with no load on the suspension.
Yup I've tried that all ready, the wheels just spin on. . . what's weird is today it didn't even make a peep(only drove 5miles in total today though). . .another clue that might help is the car right away doesn't make the noise as soon as I start driving(almost like it needs to warm up or something), the noise eventually appears after I've been driving for awhile.....it seems to reset every time the car sits parked for a while, which leads me to believe it's the diff(as much as I don't want it to be) be then again makes no noise when driving straight, so. . .don't know
Old 12-28-2015, 08:14 PM
VTXCO

Originally Posted by WJL View Post
I don't think it's the differential sounds more like the control arms are binding, i'm far from an expert but there are plenty of posts and information on the net that says most if not all after market rear upper control arms have binding issues.

Could be universal joints but that's a wild a$$ guess

Good Luck
The noise has always been there. . .even after the suspension was changed, U joints didn't even of that lol, I'll be sure to check this weekend
Old 12-28-2015, 08:24 PM
VTXCO

Originally Posted by mustang51js View Post
Might as well have a gear swap while your in there
Yeah true could go for some 3.73 or 4.10 decisions decisions
Old 01-06-2016, 07:31 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

I did a gear swap last year to 3:73's Biggest gain out of every thing I've done to the car. It will put in in your seat however, if i were to do it again I would put 4:10's in.

Be careful if you are considering buy a gear kit from AM, LMR or one of the other ones there are considerable differences in each of the kits.

Again if i did it over I would just buy the ring and pinion and would buy bearings, shims, oil and all the other stuff from NAPA not that much more in cost, you can feel and see the difference in the bearings.

Although you do need some specialized tools it really is not that difficult and i would be willing to provide pictures and guide someone on how to.

HELP!!! 02 Mustang Gt Annoying popping grinding noise from the rear-picture-428.jpg

HELP!!! 02 Mustang Gt Annoying popping grinding noise from the rear-picture-459.jpg

HELP!!! 02 Mustang Gt Annoying popping grinding noise from the rear-picture-436.jpg
Old 01-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Make sure that the floating pins in the calipers aren't seized.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:10 PM
VTXCO

Default Update

Hey guys just an update on what I've done so far, I've checked my u joints everything looked ok when i raised my car, I really don't really think that's it though, I've also change out my fluids in my differential everything in there looked okay gears had no signs of wear, so i put back together and tested it out, nope the noise is still there, so I thought about greasing up the rear wheel bearings to see if that was it, again the noise is still there, at this point I'm thinking it's the clutch packs any thoughts???

I'll make sure to check those floating pins in the calipers though

Late needed Update 2 February 2nd 2016
So after making a couple hundred miles trip from Savannah GA to Asheboro North Carolina the noise has seem to have gone. I actually pin pointed the noise was coming from the diff. I guess the fluids in the diff were not getting to the right places since the car did sit still most of its life. Huh go figure, if you don't drive a car enough it breaks.

Last edited by VTXCO; 02-18-2017 at 10:04 AM.