MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   HELP!!! 02 Mustang Gt Annoying popping grinding noise from the rear (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/723467-help-02-mustang-gt-annoying-popping-grinding-noise-from-the-rear.html)

VTXCO 12-25-2015 07:17 PM

HELP!!! 02 Mustang Gt Annoying popping grinding noise from the rear

1 Attachment(s)
So I want to start off by saying I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, now lets get down to business...so my car when turning a low speeds whether it be backing up or pulling up to the drive way it makes this grinding moaning popping? Noise from the rear. The noise is really hard to describe I included an mp3 (ignore the s***** commentary)....the entire suspension of the car has been changed from upper and lower control arms new bushings shocks/struts and springs, ball joints, bigger better front and rear sway bars as well. The car only has 45k miles on it and the suspension is less than a couple days old but noise has always been there, even before the new suspension...something tells me it the rear axle :icon_omg: but I wanted to see what your guys opinion is. Cheers

Urambo Tauro 12-25-2015 08:11 PM

Welcome!

Did you lubricate the new bushings during installation?

VTXCO 12-25-2015 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro (Post 8522401)
Welcome!

Did you lubricate the new bushings during installation?

Thanks and yeah I used silicone grease

fastbackford351 12-25-2015 10:15 PM

Sounds like it could be in your differential.

VTXCO 12-25-2015 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by fastbackford351 (Post 8522414)
Sounds like it could be in your differential.

I really hope that's not the case, I've never really had a chance to mess around with the differential, but i don't think thats it since its mouse quite when going straight or making light left and right turns, but who knows...could be a bearing

Another thing that might help is when its raining out the noise is virtually gone unless I yank the car on a really hard turn.

WJL 12-28-2015 01:39 PM

I don't think it's the differential sounds more like the control arms are binding, i'm far from an expert but there are plenty of posts and information on the net that says most if not all after market rear upper control arms have binding issues.

Could be universal joints but that's a wild a$$ guess

Good Luck

Camster 12-28-2015 03:26 PM

45k or not,a 14 y.o. GT should have it dif serviced,and by doing so,the fluid and residue might tell you if that's where the problem is.

mustang51js 12-28-2015 04:33 PM

Might as well have a gear swap while your in there

fastbackford351 12-28-2015 06:16 PM

I misread your first post. I thought you were getting the grinding and popping in the turns. Don't drink, read and post.

I just listened to your post... sounds like grinding. Brakes?

Hell, I don't know. Start cutting the legs off of the elephant.

Put it on jack stands and see if you can replicate the problem with no load on the suspension.

VTXCO 12-28-2015 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Camster (Post 8522636)
45k or not,a 14 y.o. GT should have it dif serviced,and by doing so,the fluid and residue might tell you if that's where the problem is.

True that....I plan on getting my hands dirty this weekend