4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

2valve to 4valve build. 1999 Convertible GT 2002 coupe GT and 1998 Lincoln Mark 8

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 05:07 PM
SHOPony

Exclamation 2valve to 4valve build. 1999 Convertible GT 2002 coupe GT and 1998 Lincoln Mark 8

Before I begin let me explain I purchased my 2002 Mustang GT in September of last year its a 2002 Mustang GT it has 65000 miles original Florida car with no rust anywhere I bought the car for $5,800 and thought I was getting a steal even though I knew it needed paint.

I put about 200 miles of the on the car I loved it it was nice and had plenty of power everything was running great it sounded good head full aftermarket exhaust except for headers and then it happened one day when I was on my way to work it ejected the spark plug from one of the cylinders.

The person who had purchased a car from had put a helicoil in the spark plug Come and sent should have said that wouldn't work so now I was stuck with a car with a bad head my girlfriend was giving me grief for buying a piece of junk so what I did is I said screw it in ordered an eagle crank Manley h-beam connecting rods and pistons M purchased a used set of heads off craigslist I took the head to the machine shop and had them go through the entire heads they put new valves and everything I don't even want to tell you how much I spent.

I gave the machine shop the crank the rods the pistons and the bare block. I told them that I wanted to install the head the timing chains and the cams and all that so that's what I did. Now at this current point in time I have the engine completely assembled and installed in the Mustang and it just hit 1200 miles and is running great.

Well let's begin with what this thread is about last week I purchased a 99 Mustang GT Convertible automatic it is missing the passenger fender the radiator the fans and the engine is locked up

I've decided that what I want to do is pull the engine from my car that only has 1200 miles on it and drop into the black Mustang convertible automatic and give it to my girlfriend. And here is why...

A couple days ago I picked up this 1998 Lincoln Mark 8 with the all aluminum texid block and the 4 valve heads. I'm ordering another Eagle Crank more manly HB and connecting rods and pistons and I'm going to have the machine shop redo the heads just like I did on my 2 valve.

Today I picked up a 97 Cobra upper and lower intake along with the ECU in the IMRC delete plates. The intake also already has the EGR delete plate and the ECU has been tuned for the IMRC delete the EGR delete and the o2 sensors I really wanted to get the wiring harness off the engine but the car was too badly mangled up I did talk to guy into selling me his SVT Cobra wheels with almost brand new tires on them for $450. I'm really interested in using the calipers off of the 98 COBRA if they are compatible with my 2002 GT

I ordered an aftermarket body kit, side scoops, and New fenders for the 2002 GT. The front bumper with the cobra lip on the 2002 will go to the 99 and so will the passenger side fender, side scoops, and headlights. I will also be removing the HID kit from the mark 8 and installing it in my 2002 GT Coupe. I will update this thread as I go along and progress. I will start showing off how to install both a 2 valve and 4 valve engine in these cars step by step. Feel free to chime in with any advice you may have for me I welcome all comments.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:27 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I'm gonna move this to the right tech forum but good luck with the builds.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:34 PM
SHOPony

Thanks
Old 02-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Ogre
2nd Gear Member

Sub'd. I did the Mark Viii swap in my 96 GT convertible. Love the 4V!
Old 02-20-2016, 09:37 PM
SHOPony

Anybody got any advice on using the wiring harness for the 2v from 2002 I know I have to switch the wires when my coil packs if I'm not mistaken like reverse the polarity can anybody else confirm this for me please
Old 02-20-2016, 09:38 PM
SHOPony

But I should not have a problem with IMRC because the GT wiring harness did not include Imrc and I have deletes
Old 02-20-2016, 09:39 PM
SHOPony

Will the Lincoln fuel rails work with the Cobra intake and I know I have to keep my stock 19 pound GT injectors to keep from programming my computer
Old 02-21-2016, 02:42 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SHOPony
Anybody got any advice on using the wiring harness for the 2v from 2002 I know I have to switch the wires when my coil packs if I'm not mistaken like reverse the polarity can anybody else confirm this for me please
Read through this. Believe just about everything you need to know about the swap is in here.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/moto...n-a-96-gt.html
Old 02-21-2016, 10:08 AM
SHOPony

Yeah I've read through that and I've read another one in the other one states that I have to reverse the polarity on my coils otherwise I will burn out my ECU can anyone verify this
Old 02-23-2016, 09:27 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

dpftl

Last edited by fastbackford351; 02-23-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 2valve to 4valve build. 1999 Convertible GT 2002 coupe GT and 1998 Lincoln Mark 8