4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Another ticking time bomb thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:44 AM
Sortadelux

Default Another ticking time bomb thread

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can tell me I'm not screwed.

2000 GT, purchased about 3 months ago. When I bought it, the PO said he hadn't fixed the suspected exhaust leak that manifested as a light ticking coming from the right firewall side of the motor. A quick thread search confirmed the likelihood of a leak at the studs. After the purchase I found I had no leak but did need a new catback. While installing the new AM catback I changed the oil with the interweb recommended 6 qts of 5w20. Still ticking. Some seafoam may have been involved. Still ticking. So we just pulled the valve covers. Pass side was a nice smokey golden color my pork ribs get about 45 minutes into the grilling process. Driver side was not. I was looking for obstructed oil passages in the head. Not only did we not find any blockages, my heads didn't have the little tube restrictor things that cause the problem. We test plumbed the passages anyway with a tool specifically built for it (string trimmer line, .08 guage). No blockages. What we did notice when we pulled shaft caps was that the firewall camshaft journal was pretty well scored. The rest were looking ok but the one containing the oil port its-self showed obvious wear. Heads re-covered, new gaskets and some fresh 5w20. Still ticking. It may be a little quieter, or I've been drinking.

Cliffs:
Ticking 4.6l, not exhaust leak, not restricted oil passage in head (that we found). I just got laid off and I need to feed my family sooooooo, whats my next step?
Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If you suspect oil starvation, I would start listening to the front cover for timing chain noise. The plastic chain guides wear and little chunks break off, make their way into the pan and then block the pickup tube. Thus causing a restriction.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:48 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

^^^ i sure think he would have noticed that while taking them off and reinstalling them while changing heads. i have seen some blocks get restricted internally and cause oil starvation to 1 head, pull the valve covers and run the engine with them off while looking to see if they are getting oil, and if the lash adjusters are collapsing. if so you still have a restriction in the block.......then time for an engine/shortblock
Old 05-12-2016, 03:22 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

How many miles on engine?
Old 05-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
^^^ i sure think he would have noticed that while taking them off and reinstalling them while changing heads. i have seen some blocks get restricted internally and cause oil starvation to 1 head, pull the valve covers and run the engine with them off while looking to see if they are getting oil, and if the lash adjusters are collapsing. if so you still have a restriction in the block.......then time for an engine/shortblock
Only thing I got from his post was that he pulled the cam covers only and exposed the top side of the heads, checked the oil passages from there. Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 05-13-2016, 03:01 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Only thing I got from his post was that he pulled the cam covers only and exposed the top side of the heads, checked the oil passages from there. Maybe I'm missing something?
yeah my bad, he said he "re-covered the heads" i saw replaced on my first read lol. so yes one can check the timing chains too, but he said one head looked oil starved, so i would stark by making absolutly sure that they either are or arent getting oil
Old 05-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

^ Definitely.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:02 AM
Sortadelux

Originally Posted by movielover40
How many miles on engine?
About 150k

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
You are correct sir. We did not pull off the heads, just the valve covers. We used some .08g trimmer line to plumb the oil passages through the heads and and got about 12" of line in it so I know that we cleared the heads. What we didn't do was crank it over with the VC's off to see how much oil was coming out. I have a feeling if there is a blockage, its inside the block. If it was the pickup tube both heads would be dry, right? The cars been mostly sitting since last month. My Bro is looking into motor options for me. If I do have to replace the motor, it'll be as stock as possible due to money concerns but I'd like to go reman as opposed to used. Any one I should stay away from? Any recommendations?
Old 06-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Based on my sole experience of doing a Pinto years ago,I think that a Ford authorized factory reman is about as good as one can get.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Sortadelux

I had the opportunity to stop by a local mustang specialty shop today. They believe it's a head problem based on the miles and year. They have me a rough quote of $2500 - $2900 installed w/cams. I guess it's time to fish or cut bait. And start shopping....