4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Running sluggish after 3 month non-op.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Chy818

Default Running sluggish after 3 month non-op.

I've been busy with work and haven't had time to drive my 96 Mustang with 04gt engine.

It's been sitting for about 8 months. Up until the last 3 months I started the car and drove it around my block about every 3 weeks. Now that it has sat for 3 months I decided I'm going to make it my daily b4 things get worse.

It takes abouto 5 minutes to start on a cold start. After that it's fine. It idles good maybe right around 800 or so. It drives well, however when I try to accelerate somewhat rapidly or you know, try an open it up quickly it falls on its face, hesitates and slowly starts get up to speed.

I always kept it under 1/4 gas. I figured the gas went bad, so I fueled the car up, but after driving it for a few days the problem isn't fixed.

Feel free to ask questions. Any input is appreciated
Old 10-28-2016, 06:52 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Inadequate fuel pressure? I'd start with an easy,inexpensive attempt.A new fuel filter.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Chy818

Yep. Did that. After nothing changed in went straight for the fuel pump. I was only getting 5lbs of fuel pressure. So I drop the tank and first thing I do is check to see if the inside of the fuel tank was dirty and it was surprisingly very, very clean. Didn't even need to consider cleaning it just dumped what was in there.
So I remove the fuel pump and the problem slaps me right in the face. The rubber hose from the fuel pump to the hardline deteriorated so bad it was leaking most of the fuel b4 it even got to the fuel line. The rubber hose felt very gummy, slimey and sticky. Here's a pic...

I went to the autoparts store bought a hose and strainer and after installed the car fired up beautifully.

Also check out the strainer of about 5 years and 2.5 of which the car ran like 50 miles maybe. Seems like these gas stations cant possibly be compliance with the cleanliness of the fuel because it's filthy.

Originally Posted by Camster
Inadequate fuel pressure? I'd start with an easy,inexpensive attempt.A new fuel filter.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Glad to hear that you got it straightened out.That rubber hose is certainly a mess.
Thanks for posting photos of the issue.Certainly more labor than expense.