4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Looking to buy an SN95, tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Mycelus

Default Looking to buy an SN95, tips?

Hey all. I'm currently located in upstate NY, but will be moving to Austix, TX later this year.

I am going to be purchasing an SN95, specifically 2001-2004 most likely. I have compiled a list of some Mustang GT's, different colors, model years, etc. to see what I am looking at.

Now do note, I will not be purchasing until around sometime in April, but for now I am in the researching stages while I save up and prepare to buy the car. My goal is to spend no more than $4,000 on the car.

I only plan on keeping the car for 2 years max, preferably less. I will only be doing some basic mods (suspension, intake, exhaust), some cosmetic stuff like smoked headlights, nothing TOO costly.

What I would like to know is all your advice. What to look out for, any major dealbreakers, etc. What to expect in terms of maintenance, value degradation, power, etc. Anything and everything.

Here is the spreadsheet I've compiled for your viewing pleasure, but you don't have to go through it if you don't want to of course: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets..._dE/edit#gid=0

Let me know your thoughts. I would ideally love to get an Atlantic or Sonic Blue, but I think my budget is realistically too low. Note I purposely left out certain colors, as I do not find the white/gray/green an attractive color option.

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:31 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Personally I wish you would choose a 2005 or newer Mustang.

The frame was much stiffer making a much better car overall.

Just my 2 cents whatever that's worth.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Mycelus

Originally Posted by movielover40
Personally I wish you would choose a 2005 or newer Mustang.

The frame was much stiffer making a much better car overall.

Just my 2 cents whatever that's worth.

Good luck in your search.
I "wish" I was looking at an 05 GT too but it's out of my price range so I really do not understand your response.

Last edited by Mycelus; 02-10-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:25 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Frankly,I think that spending any money on mods on a 4k or less car, being kept less than two years, is a waste of money,and won't be recouped when you sell it.Suspension,intake,exhaust? That stuff adds up.Put that money toward a better car.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Mycelus

Originally Posted by Camster
Frankly,I think that spending any money on mods on a 4k or less car, being kept less than two years, is a waste of money,and won't be recouped when you sell it.Put that money toward a better car.
I appreciate the input. I'd still like to get advice on mods, along with what to watch out for, things about the SN95, etc.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Start with the obvious things.If the owner is young or someone has already modded it,it's probably been driven hard.I'd prefer an original car.You'd have a base line of how it should run and you don't have to figure out someone else's so called improvements or mess. Miles on the clock,service history.Sooner or later they all crack an intake manifold.Not the end of the world,but you'll spend a few hours and $400 by the time that you're done.
I might sell my 04 one of these days,but it's not in your price range and it's gray. A $4k GT will probably have 125k+ on it.That and the age,....it could have assorted issues.

Last edited by Camster; 02-18-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:12 AM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I don't think there were any major ticking time bombs on those cars for 02+. 01 and previous had some intake manifold cracking issues (google it). My 2002 had a clunky tranny and drivetrain, but they all seem a little clunky and noisy by today's standards.

Exhaust, lowering springs and gears are usually what people do with these cars. Not an easy way to get more power.

I traded in my 2002GT with 135K miles for $2500. It needed about $600 of work at the time, just wear and tear stuff. Paint and interior were in decent shape and the car was solid overall. You might be able to get a decent GT of that era in your price range if you're ok with a well-seasoned varietal to last a couple years.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

The intake manifolds crack on all of them,03s and 04s included-the aluminum crossover improvement didn't eliminate it.
If the OP wants to do mods,there is a sticky about that in the section below.

Last edited by Camster; 02-19-2017 at 07:04 PM.