4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

best turbo setup on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:22 AM
joebird2420

Default best turbo setup on a budget?

im gonna be buying a 1996-2004 mustang GT and i wanna know the best turbo setup on a budget which would be 3 grand.. no more and i wanna know what parts im gonna need for my motor to run good . like everything... thanks
Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I'm not positive you're gonna get it done on that budget. Maaayyybe or at least close, but that's assuming you turn every single nut and bolt yourself for the install and the only thing you pay for besides parts is tuning (there goes $500, easily). Can't say I've heard of anybody running a turbo with the stock K member, and the least expensive one out there (once you also get whatever's needed for front suspension changes) is gonna suck up at least 1/4 of your stated budget.

Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two. I think increasing your budget by about $1000 makes this more do-able. Doing a centri blower is less expensive than turbo, and assuming a brand new head unit and you piece everything else together you're still looking at around $3500 minimum just in parts. You can shop for deals on used stuff, but you risk getting various components that don't work quite as well as they should and will just end up costing you more money later.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 AM
joebird2420

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I'm not positive you're gonna get it done on that budget. Maaayyybe or at least close, but that's assuming you turn every single nut and bolt yourself for the install and the only thing you pay for besides parts is tuning (there goes $500, easily). Can't say I've heard of anybody running a turbo with the stock K member, and the least expensive one out there (once you also get whatever's needed for front suspension changes) is gonna suck up at least 1/4 of your stated budget.

Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two. I think increasing your budget by about $1000 makes this more do-able. Doing a centri blower is less expensive than turbo, and assuming a brand new head unit and you piece everything else together you're still looking at around $3500 minimum just in parts. You can shop for deals on used stuff, but you risk getting various components that don't work quite as well as they should and will just end up costing you more money later.
http://www.on3performance.com/shop/1...ystem/#reviews

would this kit work ?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Yes, and so far as I know On3 kits are pretty decent. You will want to consider some of the upgrades, such as the roller bearings. Do some homework on that....
Old 06-23-2017, 10:57 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Cheap and turbo are two words that don't belong in the same sentence
Old 06-30-2017, 05:14 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Lol @ the OP thinking a budget means anything when modding a mustang

In all seriousness however, if you are trying to stay under 3k I would probably try finding a used pro charger or vortech kit, by the time you (separately) buy the injectors, fuel/BAP, plus all the little stuff, and the Dyno tune you will probably be closer to 5k then 3., also if I read that correctly you will need to swap to a tubular K. You will be way over 3k
Old 07-07-2017, 10:53 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
Lol @ the OP thinking a budget means anything when modding a mustang

In all seriousness however, if you are trying to stay under 3k I would probably try finding a used pro charger or vortech kit, by the time you (separately) buy the injectors, fuel/BAP, plus all the little stuff, and the Dyno tune you will probably be closer to 5k then 3., also if I read that correctly you will need to swap to a tubular K. You will be way over 3k

Agreed. You can find a good centri kit for at or around 2 grand...
Old 07-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Do you know a good fabricator near you? There's a guy here in Raleigh NC, charges a grand to custom fabricate all your plumbing. All you got to bring is your Turbo, intercooler, and whatever bizillion other parts needed. Guy is damn good too. I've seen his work over the years. $3k would more than cover your project in this scenario.