4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Frame question

Old 06-21-2017, 02:41 PM
bloose

Default Frame question

I am a new member and am rebuilding a 2003 Cobra Convertible that was in an accident and I need a new/used frame. I think all the years 1999 - 2004 the frame is the same but I am unsure. Where can I find that information on what frames are the same as what I need? And where are the best places to find one?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

So basically you intend to swap the '03 Cobra drivetrain to another car?

Yes, the entire '99-'04 run are identical, structurally and aside from a few very minor changes mechanically as well. It will go easist into a GT or another Cobra; it will go into a V6 roller but with considerably more work. That engine/transmission will go right into anything '96+ without much BS.

Plan on swapping the engine, transmission, complete wiring harness, pcm, instrument cluster and either the ignition lock cylinder or the entire steering column (pcm, cluster and transponder ignition key need to be matched up to avoid PATS issues, unless you plan on having that disabled via tuning).

Best place to find one.... Probably start searching your local CL for a car in good overall condition but with a blown engine.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:58 PM
bloose

Thank you. I was in an accident that dented the frame and the next day I was told I had cancer. So I had the car almost dismantled for all the parts that could be removed. Then I had two more rounds of cancer and now 4 years later I would like to put my cobra back together so am looking for a base to start with. I am sure I will be missing parts and have a lot of cleaning to do but the car had over 700hp as a convertible in Hawaii, so it all fit and I would like to have it back.

Again, thank you to you and anyone who points me in the right direction. I am sure I will be back to ask more questions.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:17 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Good luck man, keep fighting.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:32 PM
bloose

I am the first in the world ever to survive the brain sh-t I had and still be able to walk and talk.
So putting this Cobra back together should be challenging but definitely doable!

PERSPECTIVE, I have a new perspective. I hope everyone gets a chance to have a renewed look at life just by hearing about what I went through, not by having to go through it!

Search this Thread