4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Sold My V6 for a GT, Need Some Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:45 PM
civil.dis0bedience

Default Sold My V6 for a GT, Need Some Advice.

I just recently purchased a super clean bone stock 2004 GT with 92,000 on it. I'm pretty good with a wrench and following instructions but I'm no mechanic. So i decided to take the car to a local shop and asked them to do a FULL evaluation on it. I wanted to know anything I can do to it to bring it back to they was it was from the factory. After looking though the car with me he said its in great shape but recommends a right inner tie rod, 2 lower ball joints, and we found that my rear pinion seal has a leak.

After watching tons of videos and reading tutorials I am convinced I can take care of the suspension aspects of this myself. What do you guys feel about that? Tie rods and ball joints, easy enough right? What else should i replace in the process? Bushings ect??

I feel like I may be better off just buying two new control arms with new ball joints already installed in them. Is that a much better idea if my funds allow it?

I'm going to do both sides, inner and outer tie rods, at the same time. I'm under the impression that this makes the most since. I'm also wanted to install some lowering springs. I have no intentions on slamming it, just want maybe 1.5in to tighten up the control a bit. Any thoughts on bumpsteer kits over the stock setup?

Lastly have you guys ever dealt with a Rear Main Pinion Seal leak? I havnt been able to find as much information on the process of replacing them. Maybe that's something better left for the shop to do.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:52 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

"......have you guys ever dealt with a Rear Main Pinion Seal leak?"

Seal leaks, hundreds of times. But, no, never that kind......

A "REAR MAIN SEAL" refers to the oil seal at the rear of an engine's crankshaft.

A "PINION SEAL" refers to the oil seal on the shaft of the Pinion Gear in an Axle Driving section.

So, which one is leaking? imp
Old 07-24-2017, 11:15 AM
civil.dis0bedience

I pretty sure its the rear main seal rather than pinion seal.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Rear main engine seal means the transmission must be removed. It's just slightly in the way.

Seal itself is cheap, about $20 or $30. But you're looking at about a half a day's worth of labor charges to get it done (assuming you have a shop do it).
Old 07-24-2017, 03:39 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Pinion seal is easy, but you must install a new crush collar and reset the pinion bearing preload. You can get away with using the old crush collar, and going by fords bearing preload setting for a used bearing and crush collar. I don't remember exact specs but when setting up a rear pinion bearing there is a spec for new and a spec for reused stuff.