4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

WHAT PI HEAD AND INTAKE COULD I HAVE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:29 PM
madmav3024

Default WHAT PI HEAD AND INTAKE COULD I HAVE?

HELLO ALL.I Have a 1996 mustang gt with all the stuff on body that said gt or 4.6 is off.i bought the car about 2 months ago.my question is lol im not sure what and if i have pi heads on this.it has the oil fill on the drivers side.it has a plastic intake but the front tube goes to the drivers side of head.it has both 2 coolant sensors no hole under the throttle body or any tube on the drivers side as i read somewhere .but it only has 11 bolt holes in the valve cover.i took the pass side valve cover off and it has aftermarket head bolts.this is that motor i asked about that burn a ton of oil so it must have a hole in the piston.what kind of PI heads could these be or are they not>the intake tube goes to the drivers side so it has a pi intake correct? thank you for any info as im not that good yet on these 4.6s thank u all
Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Post a pic of your intake manifold.... Easy to tell if that is PI or NPI. Although not a 100% indication of which heads you have - as a PI manifold can be mounted on NPI heads, it may give us an idea. If you can find and post the casting numbers on the heads then somebody here should be able to figure that out and tell you what you've got.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:28 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

if the oil filler is on the left (drivers side), they are non-PI. The non PI cam covers will not fit a PI head
Old 08-16-2017, 05:58 PM
madmav3024

hi do you know where the numbers are on the head to see what i have? when i had the r side cover off it has a screw in the gear for the timimg chain not pressed in.it has 11 bolts both sides valve covers oil fill is on drivers side as is the dip stick on drivers side it has aftermarket SPS head bolts cam # is NR 4.903 543 AND NR 4.947 547 KLUPP PRESTA ON CAM THE 1ST TUBE COMES FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE ALSO HAS 2 COOLANT SENSORS im just trying to put down all that i see to find out what heads this has or what they came off so i know if they are good ones or NPI I TOOK A PIC ALSO.IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR #S ON THE HEAD I CAN SEE IF I CAN FIND THEM THANK U FOR THIS HELP JEFF
Old 08-17-2017, 06:08 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Oil filler on the left is NON PI, dual temp senders is a NON PI intake, you could still have after market cams

If you have a small mirror you can see the casting numbers on the right side (Passenger side) it will be up front on the head. you cant get to the left side to see the casting number without removing the head

I guess someone could have drilled and tapped the PI intake for the second temp sender
Old 08-19-2017, 05:18 PM
madmav3024

HI THIS IS THE PICS OF THE INTAKE ON THIS 1996 MUSTANG GT AS U ASKED.IT IS A PI INTAKE CORRECT? LET ME KNOW WHAT U THINK THANK U AND U DONT THINK I HJAVE PI HEADS ON THIS MOTOR WITH 11 VALVE COVER BOLTS? THANKS JEFF
Old 08-19-2017, 05:20 PM
madmav3024

Default HEAD SERIAL #

Originally Posted by WJL
Oil filler on the left is NON PI, dual temp senders is a NON PI intake, you could still have after market cams

If you have a small mirror you can see the casting numbers on the right side (Passenger side) it will be up front on the head. you cant get to the left side to see the casting number without removing the head

I guess someone could have drilled and tapped the PI intake for the second temp sender
IS THE # ON THE FRONT OF THE HEAD OR THE BACK? WHERE EXACTLY IS IT ? THE TIMIMG GEAR COVER IS ON THE FRONT OF MOTOR
Old 08-19-2017, 05:28 PM
madmav3024

Default PI OR NPI INTAKE AND HOW TO FIND SERIAL#S FOR THE HEADS SO WE CAN SEE WHAT HEAD

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Post a pic of your intake manifold.... Easy to tell if that is PI or NPI. Although not a 100% indication of which heads you have - as a PI manifold can be mounted on NPI heads, it may give us an idea. If you can find and post the casting numbers on the heads then somebody here should be able to figure that out and tell you what you've got.
HERE ARE A FEW PICS OF INTAKEWHAT PI HEAD AND INTAKE COULD I HAVE?-photo-11-.jpg

WHAT PI HEAD AND INTAKE COULD I HAVE?-photo-12-.jpg

WHAT PI HEAD AND INTAKE COULD I HAVE?-photo-13-.jpg
Old 08-19-2017, 05:32 PM
madmav3024

Default PI OR NPI HEADS.WHERE IS THE SERAIL #S ON THESE HEADS EXACTLY IF U KNOW?

DO U KNOW WHERE THE SERIAL #S ARE FRONT OR BACK? IF FRONT IT HAS THE TIMING GEAR COVER SO I CANT SEE ANYTHING? THANK U
Old 08-21-2017, 05:51 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

The casting number is on the head itself on the right side it will be near the first exhaust runner.

No need to waste your time from looking at the cam cover it's NON PI the left hand oil filler cam cover will not fit a PI head and that's all there is to that.

I did a comparison on this forum of going out buying used PI heads, gaskets, head bolts, antifreeze, oil, filters and so on and the cost came in somewhere around $750.00 to $800.00

I found an 2005 Lincoln motor with 55K miles for $500.00 and swapped it Did it for $800.00 but i bought a new FORD Racing intake, P.P. plenum and a few other parts
Attached Thumbnails WHAT PI HEAD AND INTAKE COULD I HAVE?-picture-491.jpg   WHAT PI HEAD AND INTAKE COULD I HAVE?-picture-493.jpg