4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Battery started dying after I recharged the AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 07:28 PM
DenissK

Post Battery started dying after I recharged the AC

Recently I fixed my AC by replacing the AC compressor and recharging it. Otherwise it was off for a couple of months.
After about a week after fixing it, one night my battery died. I opened the door, the light went on, I turned the key half way for the cluster to light up and then wanted to turn the key all the way, everything went black. After a couple of minutes the light in the car went back on, I did the same procedure and the car started up. When its on or when I am driving, everything works well.When the car is off, I leave the AC switch on the "Normal AC".

Couple of things I am thinking...when I replaced the AC, I disconnected the negative on the battery, maybe it is connected loosely.
Now that the ac is working and receiving electricity, maybe my battery can't take it without the car being on. Maybe my battery is dying and I just need to replace it. Prior to fixing the AC, it worked perfectly.
I put a new alternator half a year ago.
My alternator was replaced half a year ago.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If you are sure all the connections are clean and secure then I'd say it's all just coincidental and maybe just time for a new battery.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Get yourself a volt/ohm meter. A battery with no load should read a minimum of 12.5-12.75 volts, Have someone try to start the car while the meter is still on it, It shouldn't drop below 12.3volts. If it does, you probably have a weak battery or dead/dying cell. If it's weak, charge it and see if the problem returns, if it does, replace the battery.

If a cell is dead or dying (voltage drops 2 volts or more when you hit it with the key), time to replace the battery for sure.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:10 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

I'm with Z28 just a Coincident
Old 09-01-2017, 08:18 PM
DenissK

Hey, thank you everyone for the suggestions. It turned out that the negative cable from my battery was slightly loose and I had bad ground. I cleaned it and tightened it really well and now the car starts up like a charm!