4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

4.6L GT Strange Shift Timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:30 PM
lovemy96

Default 4.6L GT Strange Shift Timing

I have been noticing strange behavior from my car when approaching the higher gears between 40 and 60mph. I have a 96 GT with auto trans and a little over 134k miles. I recently changed the transmission fluid and filter just slightly beyond recommended mileage listed in the manual (I was actually the first person to ever crack open the pan). For the past month it's been acting like this and I'm not sure what it could be. I've been experimenting a bit and if I'm just easy on the throttle and slowly work my way up to those speeds it shifts fine with no hesitation. If I get on it the car shifts fine up until around 50. At this point the car feels as though it should shift but hangs back until finally deciding to jerk into gear. I'm definitely losing a lot of power because of this. Anyone ever experience something like this?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 4.6L GT Strange Shift Timing

Sounds to me like a Valve Body and Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) solenoids issue.