4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Coolant Leak around intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
dont use any kind of jb weld
And why not??
Old 12-20-2017, 02:03 PM
torsiondrummer

Thankis WJL, I noticed the OEM didn't have the o-ring style, as you mentioned - I almost put both original and gaskets on together - would have been a major issue (parts haven't arrived, but I ordered both).
Old 12-20-2017, 02:06 PM
torsiondrummer

Interesting, I've heard JB Weld from two known mechanics, and I've heard RTV....for the pitting. Which one, or not?

Also, thoughts on silicone or a known sealant with the intake manifold to the head?
Old 12-20-2017, 02:35 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

The RTV will most likely work fine but if it was mine I'd fill the pits with something other than RTV....that's just me!!
Old 12-20-2017, 03:11 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Can't disagree with WhiteFox
Old 12-21-2017, 11:22 AM
torsiondrummer

Coosawjack - So, interestingly enough, the OEM of the Intake manifold replied to a seperate e-mail; I had asked what do they reccomend for a sealant. Here's the replay:

"For the pitting, I would suggest looking into a more rigid type of filler, for example theres a Permatex producted called Liquid Metal Filler - JB Weld also has some solutions in their product line for this. My concern with RTV is it is too flexible and can "unstick". You do not need a replacement gasket for our manifold, the included o-ring style is an updated design."

I'll be looking into the Permatex, has anyone in the thread used or heard of it?
Old 12-21-2017, 12:17 PM
torsiondrummer

So, the Manifold manufacturer recommended liduid metal filler, Permatex; I wrote Permatex, and they recommended High Temp (Item # 84333) - wow, what a run around!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:40 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

again, ive never used any type of "filler" or rtv on any mod motor intake gasket, even with some pitting around the coolant passages. I use a light disk on a whiz wheel and clean the area, then apply the new intake with new gaskets. not once have i had a failure. I also dont use the cheap dorman/chinese intakes with built in gaskets. take that however you'd like
Old 12-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
again, ive never used any type of "filler" or rtv on any mod motor intake gasket, even with some pitting around the coolant passages. I use a light disk on a whiz wheel and clean the area, then apply the new intake with new gaskets. not once have i had a failure. I also dont use the cheap dorman/chinese intakes with built in gaskets. take that however you'd like
This is exactly what I would do as well, except perhaps I'm not brave enough to try sanding the surface with anything. Be careful with that, it's easier to remove a little bit of material than it is to put it back if you go overboard.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:17 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If you really really really feel the need to use rtv, I would apply a very thin coat only to the gasket in the area of the coolant passage. Very thin, basically just enough so you could say that you used some. Allow it to dry and bond to the gasket before assembly.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak around intake manifold