4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Front end issues. Help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 09:05 AM
jasons03gt
1st Gear Member

Much appreciation to everyone who is trying to help me out. I jacked the front or the car up yesterday and i checked everything.
i have no side to side slop no up and down slop in either wheel, the control arm bushing all seem to be in tact. Nothing torn or hanging out. The tires do have air lol 34lbs to be exact. The struts are good. The coil springs are good. The sway bar bushings are good and the end links are not broken or loose.

i get a shimmy in the steering wheel abut 60 miles an hour and up. .when i turn the steering wheel say to back out pull forward i can hear a click like knock sound and feel it in the steering wheel
Old 04-29-2018, 09:12 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I would take it to different shop and have it checked. If they screwed up, you will never know. They will blame it on something and tell you that part needs to be replaced.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:22 AM
jasons03gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Given all the stuff you've replaced - in particular the inner and outer tie rods, makes me wonder if there is some slack in the steering rack. Also worth considering are the A-arm bushings, if those are toast then that can cause stuff to move around.
well let me ask you this. I jacked the car up yesterday one side up the drivers side tire was on the ground. I had the keys in so the steering wheel was unlocked but i could turn the tires in and out. There was some pressure but not alot.

is that normal??? You would think with all the pressure on one side that i shouldnt be able to do that...
Old 04-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Did both wheels turn or just the passenger side? Did the steering wheel move with the tires? If only the tire moved but neither the drivers tire nor the steering wheel moved...that is not normal.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by jasons03gt
Much appreciation to everyone who is trying to help me out. I jacked the front or the car up yesterday and i checked everything.
i have no side to side slop no up and down slop in either wheel, the control arm bushing all seem to be in tact. Nothing torn or hanging out. The tires do have air lol 34lbs to be exact. The struts are good. The coil springs are good. The sway bar bushings are good and the end links are not broken or loose.

i get a shimmy in the steering wheel abut 60 miles an hour and up. .when i turn the steering wheel say to back out pull forward i can hear a click like knock sound and feel it in the steering wheel
Something in your suspension/steering is shifting and causing that. As I mentioned before, the force needed to move things around is sometimes more than what you can manage by hand.

Get a second opinion from a different shop.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Jason, you remind me of back-in-the-day when I was crazy enough to oval race. Check this out, Camber is when a wheel is tilted so that the top of the tire is either closer to or farther from the centerline of the car. Negative camber is when the top of the tire is closer to the center of the car than the bottom of the tire. Positive camber is when the top of the tire is farther away from the center of the car than the bottom of the tire. Sounds to me you are experiencing to much "positive" camber. P.S. tell the alignment shop you want a "Thrust Alignment". If they look at you stupid like, immediately go to another alignment shop.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:35 AM
jasons03gt
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help everyone it's much appreciated. I did find the problem and wanted to let everyone know what it was in case someone experienced the same thing.

the steering shaft from the firewall to the rack was bad. Which explained the shaking in the steering wheel And the thunking noise was a loose mounting bolt underneath the crossbar that goes across the underneath of the kmember. Alignment issues were solved it was just a **** job of an alignment. Nothing like wasting money
Old 06-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Thanks for reporting back. I hadn't even thought of that steering shaft joints. You rarely hear about those on the mustangs. FWD vehicles all the time because of the odd angles from having the rack right there against the firewall.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 AM
jasons03gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Thanks for reporting back. I hadn't even thought of that steering shaft joints. You rarely hear about those on the mustangs. FWD vehicles all the time because of the odd angles from having the rack right there against the firewall.
your right about the steering shaft. I never seen many issues with them in rwd vehicles, It does have almost 237k miles on it though so I guess anything is a possibility with these kinds of miles.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:38 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Wow. That was a noodler but now it's good for another 237k.