4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What to do with noisy diff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:32 PM
longlivethez

Default What to do with noisy diff?

So, the '04 I just bought has a SUPER noisy diff and I'm looking at options as for what to do with it.

I'm looking to "do it right" without spending a ton of money, so I'm thinking either:

- Buying a rebuild kit and rebuilding it...something like this, maybe? Might as well jump to 4.10 while I'm at it, right? lol
- Buying a used/junkyard diff and dropping it in.

I'm relatively adept when it comes to automotive stuff and I heard rebuilding these things is pretty easy...especially coming from the world of imports I've known and loved my whole life. (Looking under the GT's hood for the first time, I was like..."whoa!...I can see the ground!!" lol)

Looking to stay around a couple hundred bucks if at all possible. Can't these things be found for...like...a hundred bucks?

What do you all think?
Old 04-27-2018, 03:16 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I doubt you can fine an entire rear axle for under a few hundred bucks..

If someone was desperate to get rid of one, perhaps. Call around to all the
bone-yards and see if you can find one for $100-$200. At that price, you risk
getting another noisy one.. For $100, it's gonna have high miles on it.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:21 PM
longlivethez

True true.

Perhaps I'd be better off just rebuilding the one that's in it...

To make sure the thing is good to go, you guys think something like the kit above would do the trick? Would you get a kit somewhere else? Would you not get a kit at all and just replace certain things?

I'm all ears! (...eyes...)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by longlivethez
True true.

Perhaps I'd be better off just rebuilding the one that's in it...

To make sure the thing is good to go, you guys think something like the kit above would do the trick? Would you get a kit somewhere else? Would you not get a kit at all and just replace certain things?

I'm all ears! (...eyes...)
Before diving in head first you may want to see if something as simple as pinion angle is to blame for the noise. Pinion angle has to do with the angle of the driveshaft as it connects to the rear diff. Incorrect pinion angle can occur from lowering the car or from wear in the suspension and drive train that causes it to change.

Also, if you've never rebuilt a rear diff or installed a set of gears, you have to have the preloads on the pinion bearing and the limited slip pumpkin correct as well as the correct wear pattern on the pinion gear or you could end up with the same noise or worse after your rebuild.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:10 PM
longlivethez

Originally Posted by Derf00
Before diving in head first you may want to see if something as simple as pinion angle is to blame for the noise. Pinion angle has to do with the angle of the driveshaft as it connects to the rear diff. Incorrect pinion angle can occur from lowering the car or from wear in the suspension and drive train that causes it to change.

Also, if you've never rebuilt a rear diff or installed a set of gears, you have to have the preloads on the pinion bearing and the limited slip pumpkin correct as well as the correct wear pattern on the pinion gear or you could end up with the same noise or worse after your rebuild.
I'll look into the pinion angle. I just found out from the previous owner of the car that it's on Eibachs...could be the issue, I suppose. *Fingers crossed*

Yea, I definitely wouldn't go into it without reading up. I'd be sure to do it right...don't want to take the thing apart over and over for no reason. I'd take it to a pro if it seems out of my reach.

Thanks for the info!
Old 05-01-2018, 07:04 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

is it a constant noise as soon as the car gets rolling? or does it only make noise when you are on the gas at 4-50mph?
Old 05-01-2018, 09:49 AM
longlivethez

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
is it a constant noise as soon as the car gets rolling? or does it only make noise when you are on the gas at 4-50mph?
It gets louder and changes pitch a bit as speed increases, but does it no matter if the car is in gear or not. If the car is moving, the rear end is whining.

I have a YouTube video going up this week about the car (I'm going to make a series about the car!) and in it, you'll be able to hear what it sounds like. I'll post the link here when I get done shooting and editing it.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by longlivethez
I'll look into the pinion angle. I just found out from the previous owner of the car that it's on Eibachs...could be the issue, I suppose. *Fingers crossed*

Yea, I definitely wouldn't go into it without reading up. I'd be sure to do it right...don't want to take the thing apart over and over for no reason. I'd take it to a pro if it seems out of my reach.

Thanks for the info!
Yes, lowering springs affect pinion angle so start with that first.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:05 PM
longlivethez

Originally Posted by Derf00
Yes, lowering springs affect pinion angle so start with that first.
I've seen how to measure this...how the hell do you adjust it, though?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:46 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

That kit will work

If you use Ford Racing Gears you can get a way with out checking pinion depth.

Quick Reply: What to do with noisy diff?