4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Awful steering feel...normal?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:24 AM
longlivethez

Default Awful steering feel...normal?

My 04 GT drives like a bus. The front end feels super floaty, I can move the steering wheel QUITE a bit and the front end doesn't move and the thing feels all around very vague.

I'm thinking I'm going to get an alignment and see if that helps, but anyone have any idea why there would be so much vagueness on center?
Old 05-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Rag joint?
Old 05-07-2018, 01:09 PM
longlivethez

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Rag joint?
Rag? lol
Old 05-07-2018, 02:32 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Can be a lot of issues, from rack to suspension components. If it floats around
while driving, that's usually sway-bar issues, bushings and end-links.

Rag joint is basically the steering coupler....

Not a mustang one, but that's a Rag joint... There is a bushing between the shaft and
shaft to the rack coupler. You should not get a lot of play like you're talking
with a bad rag joint unless the splines are broke, and catches as you turn...
The bushing bolt holes would have to be badly ovaled out for that much play.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM
longlivethez

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Can be a lot of issues, from rack to suspension components. If it floats around
while driving, that's usually sway-bar issues, bushings and end-links.

Rag joint is basically the steering coupler....

Not a mustang one, but that's a Rag joint... There is a bushing between the shaft and
shaft to the rack coupler. You should not get a lot of play like you're talking
with a bad rag joint unless the splines are broke, and catches as you turn...
The bushing bolt holes would have to be badly ovaled out for that much play.
Interesting. I thought that was a typo!!

Thanks for the info. I'm going to tinker with the diff this weekend, then next weekend I'll poke around up front and see if I can find anything that looks outta whack. That gives me some stuff to check out. Thanks!!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:12 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Yeah, it seems everyone expects everyone to be pros, and you're supposed know it all. So
all you get is RAG JOINT for a reply, because, well, you have to know what it is, just, because
you have to...
Old 05-07-2018, 08:03 PM
longlivethez

Usually a little nibble like that is all I need but I seriously thought that was a typo. LOL!!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Worn/deteriorated rag joint is a somewhat common issue on these cars. If yours is done, Maximum Motorsports makes an excellent replacement steering shaft that won't fail. You can try to repair it if you like, there are replacement coupler sections available but I see things like this as an opportunity to upgrade a little and do it right.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:10 PM
longlivethez

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Worn/deteriorated rag joint is a somewhat common issue on these cars. If yours is done, Maximum Motorsports makes an excellent replacement steering shaft that won't fail. You can try to repair it if you like, there are replacement coupler sections available but I see things like this as an opportunity to upgrade a little and do it right.
Definitely down to improve as I repair. For sure. No point in replacing worn out/defective parts with the same part...it's just gotta be A - financially feasible and B - something I can do in my garage without a lift, air tools, etc.

I assume this is what you're talking about? That'd replace the whole shibang and make the thing feel like it was built in the last half century? lol

If so, from what I'm seeing, that's not a hard job, either...so that's good. :-D
Old 05-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

That MM shaft would be a HUGE improvement over a worn rag joint (if that's what's going on here). I'm not sure how big of an improvement it would be over a new rag joint, though. The flexible disc is actually quite firm when it's in good condition.

FWIW, I'm still running a rag joint in my '95 daily driver (pretty sure it's the original too), and I have no complaints as it's still nice and tight. No play at all (maybe I just haven't been driving it hard enough to wear it out?). I have a hunch that the flexible disc is probably supposed to help with NVH too...

I think that IF your rag joint is worn, you'd probably be more than happy with a new one just like it. It'd certainly be more affordable ...if you can find one, that is. A quick search at my usual go-to stores is coming up empty. I wonder if a Fox one would fit.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 05-08-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Awful steering feel...normal?