4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Boosted PCV Routing and crankcase pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 12:52 AM
Bullitt2786
1st Gear Member

Default Boosted PCV Routing and crankcase pressure question

4.6 2V with a Saleen charger on top pushing roughly 7-8 psi. Under 'harder' runs I'm getting oil out of the breather holes on both the passenger's and driver's side valve cover onto the headers. Has BBK valve covers, factory oil fill cap, open filtered breather on the Passenger side with what also looks like a PCV valve inside of a 'rigged up' connection into the grommet, and a cheap looking chrome closed breather with internal PCV valve with a hose running to the back of the charger on the passenger side. If the driver's side is indeed a PCV, the problem is obvious. It'll be a few days before I dig into it so I would love to hear some suggestions about what needs to be done before I get into it.

I've been cruising the forums here looking for an answer and haven't done much hands on tinkering with it. It's a recent purchase so I don't know alot about the build. Does this sound like a correct setup? Or should things be done differently? This is my first boosted mod motor, so I apologize if this is a common or widely answered question. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-21-2018, 12:35 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

you have two options:
1- retain the pcv system and properly install a catch can
2- delete the pcv system

if you change the oil often, like once a month, then delete the pcv system. its primary design was the evacuate junk from the crankcase and out of the oil. just replace the pcv valve with a through unit and run hoses from each valve covers to a vented catch can.
otherwise, if you want to keep the pcv system, refer to the picture. note: the blue hose in the diagram needs to go in the plenum of the blower and not where it will see any positive pressure.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:25 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

His PCV is partially open, he has breathers on it, as stated. Plus he's got a supercharger,
so he's under boost.

You should only be getting oil from the passenger side PCV. If you are getting
oil on the inlet side, then there is too much crank case pressure.

Since you are under boost, there is a catch can with three connections, and
an internal check valve. Someone else here had an issue like this and the PCV was
not connected to the catch can properly.

Some supercharged applications need two catch cans.

Naturally aspirated, all you need is the RH PCV to the catch, then catch to the intake behind
the throttle body.

https://www.superchargerforums.com/t...re-blown.2472/