Notices
4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Undrivable in the rain

Old 06-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Likeapos

Default Undrivable in the rain

I have a 2003 mustang gt 5 speed with 3.73 gears, off-road x pipe, glass packs, accufab throttle bottle BBK cold air intake and a sct tuner. In heavy rain the car is completely undrivable, basically I bought the car as is for a very good price but here in Florida it rains everyday so now itís basically undrivable. In heavy rain I mean I canít even get down the road the car will start to miss so bad it stalls out and sometimes wonít even start, this weekend it happend so bad I had to get it towed back to my house 30 mins away because Everytime I tried to start it back up in the rain it wouldnít. Then when I got home and charged the battery because it like shorted out or something but when the triple A guy used the portable starter it said I had 13 volts and I would have power until he unplugged it. Basically I got back started the car up it was misfiring so bad and throwing white smoke everywhere and smelled like fuel it sounded like I had stage 3 cams. The plugs are aftermarket but the previous owner has said heís done those and the spark plugs twice since it started happening. The only codes I have are both banks are running to rich. The only other thing I have is a ABS light on. I really need help into finding what the problem is, the car is lowered and the front does have some camber, I donít know if itís flinging water straight into the intake? I checked the intake tubing after that problem happend and it was bone dry, Iím still gonna buy just a basic air filter for now and see if that solves the problem.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:53 AM
proeagles
3rd Gear Member

No telling, all kinds of stuff could be wrong. My first start would be with the cold air intake if it is one of those that snake down low or is mounted in anyway that it is getting wet.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:08 PM
Likeapos

Originally Posted by proeagles View Post
No telling, all kinds of stuff could be wrong. My first start would be with the cold air intake if it is one of those that snake down low or is mounted in anyway that it is getting wet.
It is one that snakes under the fender, it is lowered on springs and has camber, I can attach a video is basically sounds like itís cammed but I do not have cams
Old 06-13-2019, 01:11 PM
proeagles
3rd Gear Member

I bet that is your problem. The filter is getting wet. Those types of CAI are not meant for daily driving and are just a waste of money in the first place.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:47 PM
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Next time its not raining and the car seems to run ok. Take a water hose with a spray head on it and start spraying around the front of the car, the cowl, and under the car (not up but in a way to replicate what happens when driving in rain). See if you can get the car to start missing.

As soon as it start missing, stop and you'll have a general idea of where the water intrusion is occurring and you can further inspect from there.

If the intake tube is bone dry, it's not likely that it is the source of your problem. I'm guessing you've got water getting onto the electrical system somewhere. Either in the fender well area from the side of the hood or from under the car since you are low to the ground.

Who knows until you have a chance to see exactly where the water is getting in.

Here's a thought, do both wheel wells have their splash shields in place and are the shields on one piece or was one or both cut up? A lot of electrical stuff sits right on the other side and could get water on it if the shields are compromised.

Last edited by Derf00; 06-13-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:51 PM
Likeapos

Originally Posted by proeagles View Post
I bet that is your problem. The filter is getting wet. Those types of CAI are not meant for daily driving and are just a waste of money in the first place.
Thank you guys, I figured out basically nothing is blocking the cold air intake, I took the wheel off and lifted it and the ECU and Intake is just exposed right underneath of it.