Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

hurst making noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:28 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Default hurst making noise

I put my Hurst in about a month ago and I'm loving it everyday. I installed MAC axle backs about 2 weeks ago and just recently my hurst is now making a vibrating noise when I'm getting on the old gas pedal. I went back and checked all my bolts and everything is tight. It really only seems to do it in 3rd and 4th gears. sometimes in 2nd first thing in the morning. Sounds like metal tapping each other (about the best way to describe it) If I hold the shifter the noise goes away. Has anyone else ran into this problem and does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it.....

Other than turning up the Radio which I've done....LOL
Old 03-06-2006, 10:14 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: hurst making noise

Im sure youve tried this but mine did that twice and it was the two black screws that hold the chrome shifter to the trans arm. I think they need lock tite or a longer srew with a nut.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:34 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

yeah, I checked those again tonight just to make sure. I put locktight on them when I installed it. They seem to be tight so I don't know. Gonna go underneath tomorrow night and double check everything one last time.

thanks though
Old 03-06-2006, 11:47 PM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

Is there any play in the spherical pivot? 3rd and 4th wouldn't have any lateral tension on the shifter since they are straight front and back so the arm would be allowed to wiggle if there was room to do so.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:05 AM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

It moves about 1/4 inch I would say left to right once in 3rd and in fourth. Its probably the same for 2nd too. I don't notice it as much in first. I know that factory shifters are normally tight and after 3 or 5 thousands miles they seem to loosen up and have some play like this.

Is there anyway to adjust this or fix it or is that just the nature of the beast???
Old 03-07-2006, 05:13 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Well Problem Solved !!!!

I can't say enough about Brent and his compnay Brenspeed !! Apparantly it is a defect in the Hurst itself with the ball joint and the bearing that is in there without going into detail. I had called Brent to ask him if he had heard about any issues with the Hurst and I explained what was happening. He called Hurst and that was the response he got from them. Brent asked if I would like a new one shipped out to me and took care of it today. You can't find this kind of Customer service these days.

I'm not sure if Hurst will warrant the shifter from you personally if you have this problem. But its good to know for anyone else that runs into this issue. Brent also explained that Hurst said it has only happened in a few of them and is not a common problem just to put most of you at ease.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:18 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06 Black Beauty

Well Problem Solved !!!!

I can't say enough about Brent and his compnay Brenspeed !! Apparantly it is a defect in the Hurst itself with the ball joint and the bearing that is in there without going into detail. I had called Brent to ask him if he had heard about any issues with the Hurst and I explained what was happening. He called Hurst and that was the response he got from them. Brent asked if I would like a new one shipped out to me and took care of it today. You can't find this kind of Customer service these days.

I'm not sure if Hurst will warrant the shifter from you personally if you have this problem. But its good to know for anyone else that runs into this issue. Brent also explained that Hurst said it has only happened in a few of them and is not a common problem just to put most of you at ease.
I'll see if RPM Outlet will do this: I've got the same problem.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:13 AM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

If nothing else I would call Hurst "Mr. Gasket" and ask the tech department and see what they can do for you if RPM won't deal with you.

Sweet wheels btw, I've been thinking about going with those on my car.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:01 PM
denjake

I noticed the same problem but after some investigating discovered it was coming from the oval boot grommet, once I pushed this as far down as possible the noise went away.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:40 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06 Black Beauty

If nothing else I would call Hurst "Mr. Gasket" and ask the tech department and see what they can do for you if RPM won't deal with you.

Sweet wheels btw, I've been thinking about going with those on my car.
I emailed AND called Mr. Gasket up, and got the same answer both ways: tighten up the bolts. Duh-uh, really?!?!?! I'm trying RPMOutlet tomorrow.

Yeah, nice wheels. And really fit the car after lowering:

[IMG]local://upfiles/15847/094D21D19D3E4F5CAE56435E1A6560B4.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: hurst making noise