Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Kenne Bell Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Evolution Performance
Former Sponsor

Default RE: Kenne Bell Install

ORIGINAL: sidmanic

ORIGINAL: Ron43

Very nice! I'd also like to know if there were any issues w/ the install not covered in the installation manual. Oh and could you tell me what type of plugs you switched to?

Thanks!
I will be switching to the HT0 instead of the stock HT1 plugs. KB recommends going going to a plug thats "one range cooler". They are very difficult to find so far. Due to something with the patent that Ford has on the plug design, only Autolite makes them right now. You also have to get a funky tool to gap them properly as well.

I can get you a set of Autolite Ht0 Plugs Shipped out on Monday for you, their $80.00 a set shipped! I have over 1500 HT0 plugs in stock! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 03-25-2006, 08:33 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

It was overwhelming how much stuff came. I originally thought it was going to take me a day, day and a half. Guess I was thinking of a some other brand because it wasn't even close. The install wasn't all that difficult but there is just so much stuff to be done that it made it tedious at times. I would do it again if I had to. I went with inter-cooled model with the 8psi pulley. I also got 3 of their gages, which aren't the greatest quality but work just fine, I got the standard "Power" tune and a "Shootout" tune and I also bought 9 and 10 psi pulleys. A pulley swap takes about 2 or three minutes and there is no retuning required, you just have to ensure that you are running enough octane to handle the additional boost. I haven't dyno'ed it yet so I don't know what my numbers are but I can spin the tires at 55mph. I also got a set of slicks that I am anxious to try at the track. I am keeping her a total sleeper and looking forward to taking down a Cobra or two who think I'm easy prey. Its the little things that count.
How does the Kinne Bell tune come? With an SCT2, diablo, etc.?

Thx,

Mike
Old 03-25-2006, 08:59 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

You also have to get a funky tool to gap them properly as well.
Not entirely true. You can do it with a 9/16 socket, a bench vise, and a cotter pin. That is how I did mine. After paying an arm and a leg for a set of spark plugs, I refused to pay another 30 bucks for a friggin piece of round bar with a hole drilled in it that I probably wouldn't use more than a couple of times ( if that many ).

Old 03-25-2006, 09:25 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

I can get you a set of Autolite Ht0 Plugs Shipped out on Monday for you, their $80.00 a set shipped! I have over 1500 HT0 plugs in stock! [sm=smiley20.gif]
You must be Fred, Kenne Bell emailed me and gave me your number. I've just been too busy tearing around town to give you a call yet. You will probably be hearing from me on monday after I return from orbit.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 03-25-2006, 09:37 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

How does the Kinne Bell tune come? With an SCT2, diablo, etc.?
KB uses a SCT Excalibrator. You can't change any settings or anything like that. You can only load the programs that they send you or reload the factory tune. The good thing is that when you place your order, you have to fill out a questionaire detailing all of the mods you have installed so that they can build you a custom tune taylored for your car. The downside is that if you mod something later on that requires your tune to be modified, they want $200 to retune it but this is still less than what you would pay to have a dyno tune. Pretty much no easy way around it.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:39 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

You also have to get a funky tool to gap them properly as well.
Not entirely true. You can do it with a 9/16 socket, a bench vise, and a cotter pin. That is how I did mine. After paying an arm and a leg for a set of spark plugs, I refused to pay another 30 bucks for a friggin piece of round bar with a hole drilled in it that I probably wouldn't use more than a couple of times ( if that many ).

What ever happened to the $1.99 a plug days. Its always something.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:54 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

sidmanic, you're spinning those 20"s at 55 with an automatic? MAN! I can't wait! How long ago did you order the sc? I'm waiting for mine, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! Anything else other than plugs you know of I should get to get ready for the sc to arrive? I ordered the polished as well, I also just ordered a set of chrome Ford Racing valve covers. -Joe
Old 03-26-2006, 10:59 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

Originally they told me 1 to 2 weeks but I guess something happened with some parts and it ended up taking 4 and a half weeks. Stay on them though, I would call them every couple of days to find out what the status was. The communication between Sales and Buildup didn't seem that great because they could never give me a firm date.
Had my first problem with the SC last night. Check engine light came on and there is no way to find out what the trouble codes are with the tuner that KB sends you. I ended up using my Diablo from my C&L kit to find out what was going on. I used the Diablo in "Diagnostic Mode" and it not only tells you the codes and a few other things, but it also tells you what they mean. I had three trouble codes:
P0308 - Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected
P0316 - Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)
P1000 - Systems Readiness Test Not Complete
I had heard a couple of "Pops" during WOT but with this all being new, I didn't know if it was normal or not. NOT
I believe that the problem is fixed and it wasn't difficult.
I did the obvious and checked everything over thoroughly again, vacuum lines, connections, etc. Check Engine Light still came back. Started reading over all the literature again to see if I missed anything. No help. The Manual recommends a cooler spark plug (will be ordering those from Fred on Monday) but leaves it at that. I had called KB also to confirm what I was supposed to do (this was when I got the number for Evolution Performance) and was told that the system will work with the stock plugs. (I may have spaced any other information after that). There is nothing else about spark plugs in the install manual. I cruised the FAQ on the KB website and found a post about going to the cooler plug but it also said that if you don't have them, you need to re-gap your plugs from .050 to .035. Disconnected the battery and spent about an hour setting the plugs. The Check Engine Light has not came back since and the engine sounds a lot smoother. I think that this procedure should have been included in the Install Manual because this is a pretty important step and it is currently no where to be found.
Rocking again
Old 03-26-2006, 11:11 PM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

that thing is sweet....I am excited about getting my blower...I just ordered the 2.3L whipple today
Old 03-26-2006, 11:12 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the KB. The unit does look awsome, but $6700 price tag is heafty.. that enters the twin turbo area or my procharger and 90% of my short block rebuild.. haha (dont ask). I just need more over time!!!

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell Install