Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

How long to install hurst shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
silverpoison
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How long to install hurst shifter?

ORIGINAL: blowngt

You guys defending the hurst just got your feelings hurt is all...lol You are FOS and post some track vids to show me different. What are your real facts you are using to compare to? I had the hurst, tri-ax, and pro 5.0 on my car so that is where my comments are coming from. For looks and daily driving, it works fine but so does the saleen adapter for $50 - so do the math. For drag application, it just plain sucks pure and simple. And yes, auto is better for drag obviously and that's why I don't have the pro 5.0 anymore and I have a 4 speed AOD from art carr. BUT, let's look at guys who are making incredible passes with manuals... JPC, Powerhouse, JDM, D'agostino racing, etc. etc. and guess what? NONE of them have the hurst in their cars...lol

To answer the question about the new billet hurst shifter - I have heard it is good but haven't seen one yet to confirm. Word is they made it to compete with the tri-ax and pro 5.0 so I would think it should be good. I just haven't seen one in person yet to confirm but I am expecting it to be a descent shifter.

EDIT - most of you know eduardo on this site (silverpoison) - I went to the track with him and drove his car with him to show him how important shifts and rubber is. Within 5 minutes, he decided to sell his hurst and ordered the pro 5.0 and mt's. I put MT ET streets on his car and he dropped 2-10's from his other dr's. I showed him the difference in shifting and he ordered the pro 5.0 the next day. Now these are facts I'm basing my opinions on, not just hurst bashing, so if you're going to defend the hurst, have some facts to back up what you're saying.

+ 1

I didn't know your new nick name BLOWNGT.......

If money is not a problem I am going to try to make a pro 5.0 shifter with the handle of the hurst... Hopefully works good. I will be doing these on Wednesday with some other mods.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

I said you COULD put the hurst stick and ball on the saleen adapter - I didn't say it was worth it...lol

It's not just about drag racing. It's overall feel. The shifts on the tri-ax and pro 5.0 are light years ahead of the hurst and all you have to do is drive a car with one of them and you'll see for yourself. The only thing that makes the pro 5.0 a better buy than the steeda (cause they are almost identical) is the fact the pro 5.0 has more adjustment in the stop bolts than the tri-ax to really be able to custom set-up the feel and throw.

If you're all about looks and visual mods and you're in love with the hurst looks, then performance & cost shouldn't matter. In fact, nothing I say should matter and you should be happy you got what you wanted. I'm not commenting for guys with those attitudes. I'm commenting for the people who read this thread who are looking for info on how good the hurst is from a performance standpoint. They should know the truth and not just hear a biased opinion from someone who just loves the looks and name of the hurst.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:56 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Anybody? Even blowngt should be able to anser this or did you have someone install the hurst?

ORIGINAL: GTlust

Why does it say remove the two metal flanged sleeves from the front bushing of the stock shifter assembly? There is only one metal flanged sleeve on my 06, obviously it's only flanged on the one side and is as long as the bushing.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:56 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: silverpoison

You guys defending the hurst just got your feelings hurt is all...lol You are FOS and post some track vids to show me different. What are your real facts you are using to compare to? I had the hurst, tri-ax, and pro 5.0 on my car so that is where my comments are coming from. For looks and daily driving, it works fine but so does the saleen adapter for $50 - so do the math. For drag application, it just plain sucks pure and simple. And yes, auto is better for drag obviously and that's why I don't have the pro 5.0 anymore and I have a 4 speed AOD from art carr. BUT, let's look at guys who are making incredible passes with manuals... JPC, Powerhouse, JDM, D'agostino racing, etc. etc. and guess what? NONE of them have the hurst in their cars...lol

To answer the question about the new billet hurst shifter - I have heard it is good but haven't seen one yet to confirm. Word is they made it to compete with the tri-ax and pro 5.0 so I would think it should be good. I just haven't seen one in person yet to confirm but I am expecting it to be a descent shifter.

EDIT - most of you know eduardo on this site (silverpoison) - I went to the track with him and drove his car with him to show him how important shifts and rubber is. Within 5 minutes, he decided to sell his hurst and ordered the pro 5.0 and mt's. I put MT ET streets on his car and he dropped 2-10's from his other dr's. I showed him the difference in shifting and he ordered the pro 5.0 the next day. Now these are facts I'm basing my opinions on, not just hurst bashing, so if you're going to defend the hurst, have some facts to back up what you're saying.

+ 1

I didn't know your new nick name BLOWNGT.......

If money is not a problem I am going to try to make a pro 5.0 shifter with the handle of the hurst... Hopefully works good. I will be doing these on Wednesday with some other mods.
No names please!...lol (I am infilitrating the darkside[sm=vader1.gif]
Old 07-28-2006, 04:01 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

No one that I can see said the hurst was better than either of the shifters you mentioned. Oh, I forgot you're just trying to inform the uninformed, please, get a life kid! If you're an actual adult I'd be very surprised. Adult = 26+

Start your own thread if you want to be helpful.

I said you COULD put the hurst stick and ball on the saleen adapter - I didn't say it was worth it...lol

It's not just about drag racing. It's overall feel. The shifts on the tri-ax and pro 5.0 are light years ahead of the hurst and all you have to do is drive a car with one of them and you'll see for yourself. The only thing that makes the pro 5.0 a better buy than the steeda (cause they are almost identical) is the fact the pro 5.0 has more adjustment in the stop bolts than the tri-ax to really be able to custom set-up the feel and throw.

If you're all about looks and visual mods and you're in love with the hurst looks, then performance & cost shouldn't matter. In fact, nothing I say should matter and you should be happy you got what you wanted. I'm not commenting for guys with those attitudes. I'm commenting for the people who read this thread who are looking for info on how good the hurst is from a performance standpoint. They should know the truth and not just hear a biased opinion from someone who just loves the looks and name of the hurst.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:02 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Anybody? Even blowngt should be able to anser this or did you have someone install the hurst?

Why does it say remove the two metal flanged sleeves from the front bushing of the stock shifter assembly? There is only one metal flanged sleeve on my 06, obviously it's only flanged on the one side and is as long as the bushing.

There shouldn't be 2 sleeves. Here is the best instructions for install. Better than I could explain it anyway...

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...fter/index.php
Old 07-28-2006, 04:11 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

No one that I can see said the hurst was better than either of the shifters you mentioned. Oh, I forgot you're just trying to inform the uninformed, please, get a life kid! If you're an actual adult I'd be very surprised. Adult = 26+

No - they are saying the hurst is 'so much better than stock' which is BS. It is the EXACT SAME as stock with a shorter throw. BTW, I am 38 and have done more to my stang than you ever will. I have built and dragged more cars than you have seen in real life. My family also owns/operates 3 NHRA dragsters with 5 national championships in the alchohol class. So I might know a thing or two about motors...

EDIT - I see from your join date you would have no idea who I am. Sorry to be so harsh. Send some PM's to your friends - anyone who has been on this site for any length of time will know who I really am.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:16 PM
silverpoison
2nd Gear Member

uhhhhh [sm=yeahsmile.gif]
Old 07-28-2006, 04:21 PM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

All of that and you're still a Dick! Amazing. I'm guessing you were band for something, maybe being a dick?

No - they are saying the hurst is 'so much better than stock' which is BS. It is the EXACT SAME as stock with a shorter throw. BTW, I am 38 and have done more to my stang than you ever will. I have built and dragged more cars than you have seen in real life. My family also owns/operates 3 NHRA dragsters with 5 national championships in the alchohol class. So I might know a thing or two about motors...

EDIT - I see from your join date you would have no idea who I am. Sorry to be so harsh. Send some PM's to your friends - anyone who has been on this site for any length of time will know who I really am.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:25 PM
BlkonBlk
1st Gear Member

blowngt, thanks for the feedback. I like the look of the hurst but don’t want to sacrifice performance, that’s why I've been waiting for the new billet unit. As for the pro 5.0, I heard it was really notchy and stiff. Although I want the added benefits of a good performing shifter I don’t want to sacrifice too much comfort since it is my daily driver. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts or anyone else on the billet hurst once you come across it. Thanks

Quick Reply: How long to install hurst shifter?