Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

How long to install hurst shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 01:29 PM
starman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How long to install hurst shifter?

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

ORIGINAL: GTlust

Anybody? Even blowngt should be able to anser this or did you have someone install the hurst?

ORIGINAL: GTlust

Why does it say remove the two metal flanged sleeves from the front bushing of the stock shifter assembly? There is only one metal flanged sleeve on my 06, obviously it's only flanged on the one side and is as long as the bushing.

Ford changed the design of the front bushing in late '05. They went from a two piece to a one piece.

And to anyone who touts the positive stops on other shifters, you should know that they are not necessary. Our 5 speeds have built in positive stops in the tranny. You can bang your gears and you WON'T overextend your synchros. In fact, the positive stops on the aftermarket shifters can only be detrimental to your tranny as you can actually screw up the position of the shifter.
Great information...Where did you get your source? I would guess a lot of guys on this site might disagree. Having installed the Hurst shifter I like the info., but I have a friend who says he has seen bent shift forks on a '05 Mustang.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

A bent shift fork is not always the result of overextending the shifter (and I can almost gaurantee it's not the result of overextension on an S197), it can also be caused by pulling quickly off of the clutch when the car is not fully in gear. My source is the head of the parts and service department for Slidell Ford Lincoln Mercury, and he has been for over 25 years, not to mention I know him very well and he would not give me bunk information. So powershift the hell out of your hurst, it can take it. My only real beef with the hurst is that the shift **** only weighs like a tenth of an ounce. It just doesn't feel as solid as the stock shifter in my hand. To remedy this, I am having a second sift arm machined by a friend of mine that will be threaded for the stock ****. This way, I can use the hurst **** on the street, and the stock **** at the track (as well as when I take the car in for warranty work)
Old 07-30-2006, 04:55 PM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

I will at eat my words and appologize to all if one of you hurst owners post a in-car video at the track showing real powershfiting....lol It won't happen cause you can't powershift the hurst! Perhaps some of you are a little fuzzy on what a real powershift is? To effectively powershift, you are either not pressing the clutch at all or depressing VERY little. Again, you CANNOT do this conistently with the hurst. Your service manager might know about fords, but these S197's are a different animal and any of you guys who are modding don't realize that, you will really quick. Everything is new/changed on these cars so there are very few 'experts'.

Man I wish some of you guys would read a whole post instead of just parts of it. I specifically said I was pointing out info relating specifically to drag. I made it a point to mention the hurst was fine for street and nostalgia looks. I mentioned the saleen adapter because if someone was considering a hurst ONLY for the short throw, the saleen adapter is a better buy. If they like the looks of the hurst and it is primarily a street machine, then get it as I have said all along. It just seems certain people with the hurst get all defensive when I point out it is not the best choice for drag applications.

I 100% agree that if you don't race your car and it's a daily driver, then you'll probably never even notice the difference between any of the shifters so you SHOULD by the one you like the looks of best. I just crack up when people say how much 'Better' performance wise the hurst is over stock. Cause the performance is no better. They are simply experiencing the shorter throw and that gives the illusion of better performance. Unless you push the car hard, you'll never see what performance a shifter offers or not.

Just for giggles here is a clip of my car early last year with the hurst shifter... Best 1/8 ET = 7.6 (notice you can distinctively hear the shifts)

http://homepage.mac.com/chevykiller/iMovieTheater1.html

Here is a clip of the car with the exact same mods with the pro 5.0... Best ET = 7.28 (notice you don't hear NO shifts cause I'm powershifting)

http://homepage.mac.com/chevykiller/iMovieTheater7.html
Old 07-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blowngt

I will at eat my words and appologize to all if one of you hurst owners post a in-car video at the track showing real powershfiting....lol It won't happen cause you can't powershift the hurst! Perhaps some of you are a little fuzzy on what a real powershift is? To effectively powershift, you are either not pressing the clutch at all or depressing VERY little. Again, you CANNOT do this conistently with the hurst. Your service manager might know about fords, but these S197's are a different animal and any of you guys who are modding don't realize that, you will really quick. Everything is new/changed on these cars so there are very few 'experts'.

Man I wish some of you guys would read a whole post instead of just parts of it. I specifically said I was pointing out info relating specifically to drag. I made it a point to mention the hurst was fine for street and nostalgia looks. I mentioned the saleen adapter because if someone was considering a hurst ONLY for the short throw, the saleen adapter is a better buy. If they like the looks of the hurst and it is primarily a street machine, then get it as I have said all along. It just seems certain people with the hurst get all defensive when I point out it is not the best choice for drag applications.

I 100% agree that if you don't race your car and it's a daily driver, then you'll probably never even notice the difference between any of the shifters so you SHOULD by the one you like the looks of best. I just crack up when people say how much 'Better' performance wise the hurst is over stock. Cause the performance is no better. They are simply experiencing the shorter throw and that gives the illusion of better performance. Unless you push the car hard, you'll never see what performance a shifter offers or not.

Just for giggles here is a clip of my car early last year with the hurst shifter... Best 1/8 ET = 7.6 (notice you can distinctively hear the shifts)

http://homepage.mac.com/chevykiller/iMovieTheater1.html

Here is a clip of the car with the exact same mods with the pro 5.0... Best ET = 7.28 (notice you don't hear NO shifts cause I'm powershifting)

http://homepage.mac.com/chevykiller/iMovieTheater7.html
Not even trying to be a dick, but I could powershift the stock shifter just fine, and I can powershift the Hurst fine as well. And yes, I know how to powershift. Also, check up on the latest news at pro 5.0, because they aren't selling that shifter anymore. Why? Because they stole the design from the steeda tri-ax and lost the court battle.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:04 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I also think the Hurst shifter is the best looking shifter available for the S197. I am a bit confused for those that say the Saleen shift adaptor will give you the same feeling as the Hurst. I had originally been giving a lot of thought to the Saleen adaptor. You can't beat the price. However, according to the saleen site, the shift adaptor only offers a 26% reduction in throw as compared to factory, while the Hurst shifter offrs a 40% reduction in throw. Also, the hurst comes with with urethane bushings.

While it may not be as good as a tri-ax or 5.0 it definitely seems to be an improvement over the stock shifter, even with the Saleen shift adaptor and steeda bushings.

BTW, you can replace the white shift ball with a T-handle for about $20. It not only loooks better, I think it makes a dramatic improvement in terms of feel. The large heavy T handle transfers the feeling of the shift much better and you can actually feel the shifter entering the shift gates. It definitely is a much more positive feel. The T handle I bought was a universal model and I was able to use it with the stock shifter. It comes with a set of threaded inserts and a tube of Locktite. I had to use some large fender washers to hold the shift boot up near the shifter handle.

Thanks for posting your opinions of the hurst shifter BlownGT; I understand what you are saying and appreciate the feedback. Personally, I don't think there is an absolute right or wrong shifter. It all depends on the application and personal preferences. For me, the Hurst shifter gave me the look I was looking for and since I don't drag race that often it did not make sense for me to spend an extra hundred dollars for the Tri-ax.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:47 AM
BlkonBlk
1st Gear Member

Just checking in again to see if anyone has gotten around to using the new Hurst billet unit.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:59 AM
silverpoison
2nd Gear Member

ok guys here is a Hurst shifter for sale 115 + shipping, I paid 184 + shipping. I used this shifter for 5 months. Perfect conditions.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:09 AM
BlkonBlk
1st Gear Member

Well nevermind on the Hurst billet unit, apparently they are having some design issues and their release date has been pushed back. I've decided to go with the Pro 5.0. Thanks for all the info provided here.