Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

C&L fitmant and bracket

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:12 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default C&L fitmant and bracket

The search function appears to be broken again, so here goes.

I am installing the C&L aluminum intake assembly onto my 06 GT tonight. I have a couple questions.

Did everyone install the MAF bracket?? I have it in place but if I am reading it right, the rubber insulator under the stock bolt gets removed. The stock bolt rubber insert must serve some purpose.

The intake seems to also rub on the coolant hose below it and will need a shield unless I have something positioned wrong.

Also, how did those that installed this kit position their clamps for the throttle body (where did you put the screw portion of the clamp?)

Other than that, I just have to get everything positioned and tightened and she is done except for the tune.

Overall, it is a nice looking kit, but I wouldent say it has an OEM type of fit so far.

Any tips??

Old 07-27-2006, 10:38 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default RE: C&L fitmant and bracket

Good choice! No I did not install the bracket. I did not fell it was needed. Having had my C&L for a while now I dont regret not installing the bracket and it has caused me no harm.

Mine does not rub the hose so yours may just need to be adjusted some.

Postioning of clamps on tb. The screw position of the clamps on mine is to the left at the top. I can access them with ease with the screw driver and it resembles the was they were with stock. PM me if you have any questions during the install. ETA for your install 30 to 40 min.

Good luck and make sure your Oct level is right in your tank PRIOR to the tune...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:56 PM
06musgt
2nd Gear Member

i just installed my c&l and tuned an hour ago,what a differnce,not only in response but in sound.the only thing i hate is that i took it out to test it but i couldn't do much because its raing...lol,looking forward to tomorrow though.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:12 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Congrats.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:20 PM
06musgt
2nd Gear Member

thanks flew,remember a few days ago i coudn't figure it out,i e-mailed diablosport and they finally e-mailed me today.i was downloading the wrong files
Old 07-27-2006, 11:21 PM
06musgt
2nd Gear Member

class,i didn't use the bracket either,mine seems to be real tight.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:46 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

class,
I did use the bracket...kinda **** about stuff like that. Ya, the rubber gasket was removed, does not seem to affect anything......

Postioning of clamps on tb. The screw position of the clamps on mine is to the left at the top
+1

Old 07-28-2006, 12:46 AM
classj
4th Gear Member

OK Just got in from the garage. Man it is hot out there tonight. I need to get a better AC out there. 8K BTU isnt cutting it.

Anyway, I got it put in, took about an hour all said and done really taking my time. I still want to fiddle with the clamps and adjustments to get a little more clearance.

At this point the end of the air filter is rubbing the body slightly and the bottom of the intake is barely touching the coolant hose. I think I can do a bit better with adjustments in the morning. I did end up using the bracket. Seems to work well. But I might try taking the rubber piece off of the original bolt, and putting it back in the valve cover, then putting the bracket on top of that, then the lockwasher, then the bolt.

It might give me the clearance I need for the hose and the end of the filter and be a bit more factory.

But it looks great. The blue couplers match the blue paint on the car which is kinda neat. The thing just looks awsome.

Here is the best part though, I loaded the mild Brenspeed 93 Jersey tune to start, the car sounds like a friggin beast in the garage. The whole car seems louder just from this intake. Much more popping and burbling in the exhaust. The car sounds so much more natural and unmuffled. Throttle response while just blippling the gas is so much cleaner and less muddy. If it runs as good as it sounds, this thing is going to be pretty sweet.

I have Brents 93 Jersey tune, then a more agressive 93 tune. I will try out both and hope I can run the more agressive one without ping.

I did pull the electric fan and fuel pump fuses before I loaded the tune as per the SCT instructions. Is this a needed step or just a saftey precaution?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 07-28-2006, 01:42 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Nick,
You're gonna love the tune...I Have Brent's "California 93 Tune" and could not believe the difference. About a week ago or so, I switched up to the 89 tune, just for the hell of it. Ran it about a tankful. Went back to the good ol 93, and damn, what a difference....

Also, I have never pulled the fuses when loading the tune....

Have fun,
Mike
Old 07-28-2006, 09:09 AM
06musgt
2nd Gear Member

it does sound great,i don't see how you would need an exhaust with it.mine is kind of touching the hose also,i'm going to go out sunday and see if i can do a little better.wait til you take it out,you will love it.well,off to work,enjoy.

Quick Reply: C&L fitmant and bracket