Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cold Air Induction Installations and Comments...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:50 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Learn on your own, I'm done.

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: New Dyno Numbers
Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 PM
twilson1918
2nd Gear Member

i have the JLT II CAi and brenspeed tune and its supersikwitit. shell chirp the tires in almost every gear brenspeed really knows their ****. im hoping to get it dynoed soon to see how much power im putting down im hoping close to 285 - 290
Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 PM
07black_gt
1st Gear Member

hay how do u like your prochager kit ?
Old 09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Chromestang67
1st Gear Member

Cool Better than stock

Originally Posted by 07black_gt
i want to know if the s&b cai is any good thanx for the help
The S&B intake is alright. It is a good quality piece for $205 at Jegs.com. It is made of 1/4 heavy duty inch plastic molding and the air filter is housed. The air filter does have a restrictor near the clamp that narrows the 3.5inch filter opening down to 2.5inch so it will not trip the check engine light. It definitely looks better than the stock intake and flows more air. I just installed one for a 60yr old customer. It does not require a tune. I doubt it will match the horsepower of a larger Steeda intake or C&L intake (which are better made but cost more $$$). The S&B and K&N FIPK are about the same except the filter is exposed in the K&N style. K&N claims 15.26hp increase but I am skeptical I am sure they ran the test car with the hood open rather that hood closed with a fan in front the grill.

You will probably gain about a solid 8-10hp with the S&B on a stock GT. Unless you drive with the hood off the car then your horsepower will double but your engine might overheat.

I really cannot recommend it as I do not own a S197 stang, but I have worked on a dozen of them (for performance not breakdowns). In my experience I will recommend a plastic intake over a metal one or even the JLT intakes that are glued PVC plumbing tubing you could probably make yourself. I do not recommend JLT intakes because they are made of PVC pieces, oversized, and when I have installed them I had to trim them. I can say the S197 is well made compared to my old 5.0 it is more solid with a better ride especially over bumps. Better interior quality and retro looks.
Remember the only advantage GM (camaro/firebirds) has had over the mustang is cubic inches. Nothing More. Bring back the old 351W in base GTs and things will change.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Chromestang67
1st Gear Member

Talking S&B Better than Stock part 2

Originally Posted by markrey1
has anyone used SandB filters CAI kits
I forgot to mention the S&B has 2 flaws.
1) the air filter restrictor/inlet reducer that reduces the the 3.5 inch opening to 2.5 in to maintain stock airflow levels to the mass air sensor that prevent check engine light/limp mode.
2) the air box included has 2 openings for air; one in the stock location behind the fenderwell opening and one opening on the side near the engine/exhaust manifold that will inhale hot air. To fix this problem I just fabbed up a plastic cover plate to prevent hot air from the exhaust being inhaled on the side.

But the pros
1) good quality product. (Like I said before I do not like JLT or BBK intakes on 94-04 mustang gts I had to trim them to fit and the fenderwell air filter is a pain to install.)
2) cheap price of $205
3) Looks better and flows more than stock setup.
Hope this helps and keep smoking those plastic Hondas.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Ryguy921

Ok. i have a questions for you genius's. i just bought my 2000 mustang gt and lookin to do some mods. but some people say i can just do cold air. that i have to do a chip to otherwuse the motor will run to lean. do you guys have opinions on it?
Old 10-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Countersniper
1st Gear Member

Just installed a Steeda CAI & Brenspeed tune and wow did that bring the car to life.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:30 AM
adeel

Hi All,

I am very new with forums. reason for me to look for forum to know PCM number for Mustang GT 2008 model as I purshased a Ford Racing 85mm cold air intake (M-9603-GTB) and as per the instruction to get FR pro cal i have to provide my PCM number. Which I got from my PCM but unfortunately Ford Racing does not support Exported Vehicle.

Can anybody help me by providing the CPM number or advice how can I tune my Mustang without losing the warranty bid and as well erase and redo activity.

Thanks to all.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:51 AM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

New BBK CAI and BBK 62mm TB installed. I have some idle issues. BBK claims it doesnt need a tune. I put about 100 miles on it yesterday with 89 octane. When you let off the gas it sometimes takes a while to idle back down and usually stays at 1200 for a few seconds. it then drops to 800 or so. Could the TB just need to "break in"? Is it sticking? No CEL's or other issues. Exhaust (H-Pipe and FlowMasters) sounds mean as hell though!
Install went easy enough but the factory PCV valve is about 2 inches too short, had to use rubber tubing. I think the airbox is fairly cheap, it does come with an upper seal for the hood but leaves the bottom wide open. No seal on the CAI entry point (between the filter opening and the housing).
Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 AM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ryguy921
Ok. i have a questions for you genius's. i just bought my 2000 mustang gt and lookin to do some mods. but some people say i can just do cold air. that i have to do a chip to otherwuse the motor will run to lean. do you guys have opinions on it?
BBK claims their CAI and TB doesnt need a tune. I have it with no tune and am not getting any CEL's.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Induction Installations and Comments...