Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

First time at track with Bamachips tune....UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 09:43 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: First time at track with Bamachips tune....wasn't very good

Just loaded my race tune in from Bamchips, the temp. is 90 and the heat index 103 so I didn't expect much, however I was surprised the car felt stronger and pulled real well thru the gears, I could tell a definate improvement. I was running the 91 tq. tune before. The car has always lost power in the high humidity and temp. so when it cools off out I'll give it another try. Viking, maybe this tune isn't set up as well for your cai system, I have the Mac. cai. Someone else on one the forums a few weeks back said the race tune made a good improvement in his car as well don't remember which cai he had, I think it was the c&l.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:34 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cfr865

Just loaded my race tune in from Bamchips, the temp. is 90 and the heat index 103 so I didn't expect much, however I was surprised the car felt stronger and pulled real well thru the gears, I could tell a definate improvement. I was running the 91 tq. tune before. The car has always lost power in the high humidity and temp. so when it cools off out I'll give it another try. Viking, maybe this tune isn't set up as well for your cai system, I have the Mac. cai. Someone else on one the forums a few weeks back said the race tune made a good improvement in his car as well don't remember which cai he had, I think it was the c&l.
He sells the Tunable Induction CAI and I agree, the car "feels" stronger and throttle response is better however qtr mile times don't backup the butt dyno. I'm waiting for Doug's response, I'm sure he'll come up with something. I found someone to install 4.10's for me but I'm putting that off until I run with the next Bamachips tune as I'm going to ask for a replacment of the current one.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:21 AM
modular81
2nd Gear Member

In regards to having to unplug the battery before going to the track is highly recommeded. The spanish does adapt to your normal driving habbits. I found this out at the track a while back, my car just felt really sluggish that day and my et's and mph's were off from previous runs. I remembered reading post about the tune fading because of the adaptive spanish oaks and the fix was to unplug battery and this reset's the adaptive memory. Long story short i picked up two tenths in et and almost two mph's in trap speed and this was with similar 60ft times. I hope this helps.
ORIGINAL: viking396

Folks, is it possible as some people have mentioned that unplugging the battery after driving to the track would reset the PCM's learned driving habits since driving to the track is normal and going for MPG, not racing?

Please, don't respond with guesses, if you know the SpanishOak and how it responds to this kind of quick reset then respond. Guesses don't help.

While I don't think it would be the case, mostly because of the times I've run fresh off the street but heck I'll try almost anything.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:12 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

I may give that a shot, I'm on the fence about it though because I drive to the track the same way and last time the car felt excellent, but it's worth trying.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Can't you just re-load the tune in at the track ,it's quicker then disconnecting the battery? O r do you need to drive it for awhile to lean the new tune.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:25 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cfr865

Can't you just re-load the tune in at the track ,it's quicker then disconnecting the battery? O r do you need to drive it for awhile to lean the new tune.
I reloaded the tune at the track... not sure if this resets learned settings or not.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:28 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: First time at track with Bamachips tune....UPDATED

Just got off the phone with Doug, he has made adjustments to his tune, one thing you have to say about him, he always tries to do right by his customer.
I may go to the track this Friday, not sure, at first they were calling for 76f, now they say 80's, damn idiot's can't make up their minds so I'll wait until Friday to decide.

I'll post results Saturday morning.