Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

The cheapest way to put down around 325-350rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:03 PM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The cheapest way to put down around 325-350rwhp?

Sorry Doodad, but i just don't think you can get there with the routine boltons. LTHs, CAI, charge motion delete (or whatever they are called), underdrive pulleys...there individual hp gains might add to 50 extra ponies, but when you put em all on at the same time it just don't add up that way.

if you want to get to 325-350 NA then I'd go with LTH and a set of Livernois ported heads (5.0 M & SF puts them at ~40rwhp increase). The ported heads will cost close to 1500 in exchange for the current ones. The LTHs are probly around $ 500-600 for a good set and can get you 20-25 at the wheel.

Figure base rwhp is 275 + 40 (ported heads) + 25 (LTH) - 15 ( because rwhp for bolt ons are not additive) and your at ~325

or you could just suck it up and get s/c and be in the 400-450 rwhp range
Old 08-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

If stock RWHP = 275 then there was definately something wrong with my Brenspeed tunes, as I was getting 274 rwhp WITH an O/R H-pipe.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Yes, but you were testing on evolutions dyno. I am not saying anything bad about evo or anyone else. All I am saying is that numbers can be fudged. And people are in buisiness to sell parts.

I certainly wouldent call a comparison like that on evo's own dyno conclusive.

Many people have dyno'd high numbers with Brenspeed's tunes so something is up. It is too coincidental for me that most have seen at least 290-300 with Brents tune, and the one guy that only got 275 did so at Brenspeeds #1 competitor's shop.

Out of curiosity, was your brenspeed tune set up for the O/R H pipe?

I dont know, maybe I am too cynical.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:07 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Just for the record, the JBA shorties only got the 21 hp because it was shorties + a tune. On a stock car a tune can be worth 15-20 hp BY ITSELF.

As far as Brenspeeds tune, theres nothing wrong with his tuning, I have his tune with my C&L and it is freakin awesome. Just remember that every car is different and yours might not have had 275 beofe the O/R H pipe. Also it has been said that the H pipe isnt the pipe to get for performance, you want the X, and even that is only worth 10 hp MAX.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:14 AM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

If stock RWHP = 275 then there was definately something wrong with my Brenspeed tunes, as I was getting 274 rwhp WITH an O/R H-pipe.

275 is THE best rwhp dyno I've seen for a stock car. Most are around the 260- 265 mark. so if you got an extra 10 to 15 with an o/r h pope then I think you're doin pretty dam good.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:18 AM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

um. . . thats 21 rwhp by just adding the headers. . . not by adding both the intake and the tune and the headers at the same time . . .

otherwise. . .you couldn't say that the headers gave you that much power. . . u would have to say the headers AND the intake AND the tune added up to 21. . .
Old 08-02-2006, 12:28 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06GT40324

um. . . thats 21 rwhp by just adding the headers. . . not by adding both the intake and the tune and the headers at the same time . . .

otherwise. . .you couldn't say that the headers gave you that much power. . . u would have to say the headers AND the intake AND the tune added up to 21. . .
Stop confusing us with facts... [8D]

Each sticker adds linearly and constructively with the other stickers already present on the car...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paco_pony

ORIGINAL: Menace

275 is THE best rwhp dyno I've seen for a stock car. Most are around the 260- 265 mark. so if you got an extra 10 to 15 with an o/r h pope then I think you're doin pretty dam good.
That would be 10 RWHP on a Tune, O/R H pipe & C&L intake. I did manage a 13.2 (I haven't been to the track since) with everything mentioned, but when on the Dyno all that could be squeezed was 274. The guy dynoing the cars is driving each to 6000 RPMs and shutting it off, simple as that... So I don't see how anything could have been altered. I love Brent, but even initially when I was feeling no "day & night" difference, Brent was concerned... so I may have just recieved a bad tune.

Yes, Brent tuned it for the H-pipe as I had the exhaust before the Intake & tune.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:59 PM
slowpozer
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikefan20

Are you saying you think you will get 21rwhp from shorty headers, cuz i think you have as much chance getting that from a shorty antenna (sorry for being an ***) but on a seriouse note, I have not heard anything over 5rwhp from aftermarket shorty headers. Now it seems no more than 15 from LT's. Send me the dyno, if they posted it.
I agree. Actually, on a per dollar basis the shorty attenna may provide more horsepower.

(Under "get a clue" : The customers of a magazine are it's ADVERTISERS, not it's readers)
Old 08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikefan20

full bolt on's will put you there with the right tune. . .

full exhaust; i.e., headers, midpipe, and mufflers

Cold Air intake, perferably the C&L, personal preference

and a tuner, with a custom tune for 93 octane . . . im at about 300 with everything i listed but headers. . .

JBA shorties are good for 21 rwhp dyno tested in a mag. . . them with a tune, i should be at approx 321 or so. . .

and that is by far the cheapest way besides nitrous. . . :-) . . . IMO
Are you saying you think you will get 21rwhp from shorty headers, cuz i think you have as much chace getting that from a shorty antenna (sorry for being an ***) but on a seriouse note, I have not heard anything over 5rwhp from aftermarket shorty headers. Now it seems no more than 15 from LT's. Send me the dyno, if they posted it.

well Mr. *** . . . every JBA article in every 'Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords' Magazine has the JBA shorties for 05-06 GT at the top of the page. . . note: must have CAI and ability to tune . . . but yes. . . 21 rwhp, get the mag, see for yourself

help finding? p 131 of September issue of MM&FF

the website, http://www.jbaheaders.com/05mustangnew.asp shows the dyno of the longtubes at 23 rwhp. . . the mags say 21 for the shorties. . .

pick up your local MM&FF and see for yourself bubs. . .
Thanks for the link, got to see the DYNO for the JBA LT's, seems to be a good product. But I won't believe that they can improve the stock shorties by 21 rwhp. If the mag has a DYNO to back up there claims (with the shortie headers) then I will go buy me some tomorrow. I'm not going to just believe what they say it can do. I like to see actual performance data. So I'm an *** and a nerd.

But my shorty antenna does free up alot of wind resistance over that stock flag pole they come with.

Quick Reply: The cheapest way to put down around 325-350rwhp?