Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Stroker Kits and Torque Converters

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:36 PM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stroker Kits and Torque Converters

Yeah I'm just gonna look more into the Short, as well as Longblocks, and see what I can find. Thanks man.

-LAK3RS
Old 07-31-2006, 06:06 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

actually, "no replacement for displacement" doesnt tend to go towards big block to small block guys. you have 4.6L. Decent sized engine, especially when you look at the computer and the tunability factor. but isnt a 5.0/5.2L bigger? yes. and wouldnt adding forced induction to a BIGGER engine yield greater results? YES. so if you're looking for a mountain motor, no, a 4.6 isnt the place to start. or finish. or even be a term to use. but its a great place to start if you dont want to purchase an entirely new block. as to the precautions of stroking, he's got a shop he feels comfortable with and can pay without feelin like he's just throwing it away or being taken advantage of. since when did stroking become a sin? not to play meany here, but before mustangs became these monster tuners with s/c (dare i say falling the route of imports?!?), stroking was a GREAT way to find the power. why is it so different now? because anyone can install a s/c and pay for a dyno, is that a BETTER way to go? sure, strokin mean 9 of 10 people will need a shop, and a dyno, and wont get the hands on experience. but how many people do ANY work to their new cars these days? oooo i installed cold air. yippee. doesnt count man.

LAK3RS yeah, you can find a new "shell" to put your goodies on. but theres nothing wrong with the block that you've got, just the internals. you need forged internals to achieve the kind of power you want safely and reliabily. those are the two key words there. its not an opinion comment, they will blow. had a guy at OVDS blow one two weeks ago, trying to force to much boost into it, and yeah, 500 horsies is nice. but one loud boom will remove all that glory. as for sean hyland, they're pretty damn good. you can call and chat with them, and ask for some documents that prove the power they've gotten. they'll tell you price for the kits, installation time (approx.) and how long you're gonna need on a dyno with a good tech tuning for ya. you can get a very close estimate buy phone calls, and its better to ask them than to take someones "word" for it when they more than likely opened their web browser and estimated a parts cost. gonna hurt ya more than help. and yeah, you're tranny will be safe to 450 hps. plenty of guys down here are runnin autos in their 05's at 430, and havent had so much as a slip. 500 mark, they're having problems. but they anticipated it, and arent terribly upset. i would be, but im cheap. : )

not trying to twist your arm one way or the other, and all the advice on research research research will save you a bottole of asprin down the road. just dont get to caught up in "forum chatter", and when ou envision what you want, ask the shops you'll be dealing with to find their capacity for the job and price tag. hope you enjoy your steed man.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

oops, sorry. forget to mention, if you're going to go with the 5.2L stroke, you're adding more than just 11% to your power. with a tune on a stroker assembly, you're looking closer to 120. the 5.0L got foley to 394 rwhp. and thats conservative. aggresively, we est. it at 415 ish. those are real numbers, that have been dynoed. it did take him a while to get dialed in, but it sounds great, and the power is pretty constant from 2400 rpms up. i also called and asked about the "dreadnaught mustang" that they claimed produced 380 hp /400 lbs naturally aspirated. it was done with a very aggresive tune and uber-agressive porting. but it proves the block has potential for power. okay im done. no more posts on this thread.... bye
Old 07-31-2006, 09:48 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT
oops, sorry. forget to mention, if you're going to go with the 5.2L stroke, you're adding more than just 11% to your power. with a tune on a stroker assembly, you're looking closer to 120. the 5.0L got foley to 394 rwhp.
I said - "if you do nothing else" and that "11% applies to everything else you do" - if all you did was change the displacement within some reasonable margin all you would do is increase the power by about the change in displacement. There are various attributes of a longer stroke that make that an imperfect estimate, but it is pretty close...

+1 on finding a good shop and working within their limits/expertise...

Stroking is not a sin... I have done it myself and was VERY happy... I did not mean to convey it as such. It is just a step up in complexity and potential for failure above just replacing the bottom end with stronger components - that is all...

For the record it was very painful for me to bite the bullet and SC my new car - just look at the old one! I ripped out the 5.0 and replaced with a built 351W...

I went the SC route on the new one:
a. lots of people ahead of me finding all the bugs - well proven path
b. big expense all at once, but cheaper in the end...
c. I want emissions legal and very streetable for this one...

So, if anyone got their feathers ruffled or thinks me RICE or "falling the route of imports" then they missed the point of my posts...
Old 08-01-2006, 03:00 AM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

Cekim, I got your posts down and they really did help me effeciently and I will note that you are a BADASS and are very helpful.

- Justin (I guess I'll start putting my name)
Old 08-01-2006, 03:45 AM
blowngt
I ♥ Acer

Jesus some long posts so let me make this short and sweet.

#1 - Stroking the motor simply adds displacement so the s/c is irrelevant. I personally have a 302 stroker kit with a vortech @18 psi & 150 N20 shot on top.

#2 - I'm so sick of hearing about SHM (sean hyland motorsports) on this forum. Research any good tech forum and you will find their stuff is JUNK pure and simple.

#3 - if you ever do get a stroker kit make sure you pay the extra couple hundred bucks and get it INTERNALLY BALANCED. This way if sheet breaks it can be fixed individually without rebalancing everything again.

#4 - the issue with stroking on these motors is valve float. That is the concern the experts have and the rumor is it may cause valve float in about 12000 miles. No one has put 12K miles on a stroked motor yet on an S197 to know for sure so the jury is still out as of now but more facts will come in the near future.

#5 - You cannot go up to a 5.2 liter on the stock block no way no how. Your limit is 302 ci which will put you a tad over 5.0 liters.

#6 - the best advice in the thread is to have someone work on your motor who knows their sheet on THESE cars. They are completely different than any previous generation stang. Go with someone who has already put in the wrench time and R&D and have several documented and known S197's already out there running strong.

Hope this helps

Old 08-01-2006, 12:53 PM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for some info Blown, But then again I still got set in my head what Cekim told, and explained to me. But I am going to go down to HPP Racing(The Shop that's doing the work) and am going to sit down and talk everything over with them. I just wanted some information about Stroking, and other stuff related to that as well, SC'n, etc. But I really thank all of yall for your help in this a lot It's really helped tremendously, so that when I do go into HPP I won't sound like a complete idiot not knowing whats going on.....LoL.

-Justin
Old 08-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Andys06GT
2nd Gear Member

not tryin to imply anyone here would rather have a honda civic. just appears that with all the new modifications going in, and the way they are approached, the mustang has become a "tuner" car more relative to the life-cycle of a 4 cylinder. obviously noones putting fart cans out back, but the body styling has gone asia-retro, the performance enhancements have gone asia-retro, only differences are the names of the companies. yippee for american made! still, the 4.6 responds so well to the forced induction, its obvious why people are doing in. hmmm.... light bulb just flashed, lets get a special edition carbuerated stallion! ford, anyone, huh huh ?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:24 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LAK3RS
Thanks for some info Blown, But then again I still got set in my head what Cekim told, and explained to me.
Hopefully, nothing I said conflicts with blowngt's info - if it did, I screwed up... Short and sweet is not my forte...[8D]

I mentioned my doubts on the cost/benifit of going out to 5.2 and would not bother myself for all the reasons I blathered on about...

Good luck - have fun...
Old 08-01-2006, 02:26 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andys06GT
obviously noones putting fart cans out back, but the body styling has gone asia-retro, the performance enhancements have gone asia-retro,
To that I'd have to +1... But then heretical as it may be, I think Mr. Saleen can be rightfully accused of a bit of rice here and there...

Ground effects are useful in SCCA - but the saleen has on a number of occaisions dabled in the "fast and full of itself"...

And WTF is up with moding the focus?

Quick Reply: Stroker Kits and Torque Converters