Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Fuel pump TSB - do I need it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:27 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default Fuel pump TSB - do I need it?

Okay, I'm a bit confused as to whether I need the fuel pump TSB done. I feel like my auto GT has always had throttle lag, but it doesn't spputter or balk. I've read that throttle lag is due to the factory "drive-by-wire" computer tune and that a retune helps. Now, However, I hear poeple saying that the fuel pump TSB helped with the throttle lag. So now I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump is the problem, not the tune.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel pump TSB - do I need it?

I would be curious to know as well. I have a late 06, early april build, and have never had any sputtering problems at all after long highway trips.

Is the new pump replaced on an "as they fail" basis. Or is there actually an improvment to be made here?

Old 08-02-2006, 12:39 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

My .02 worth Throttle lag is not due to the TSB. I had my pump replaced last week so I know what my car did. What happens as a result of the TSB issue is exactly what it says in the TSB. My personal effects from it were, when I would be on hwy for 20 to 30 miles, be it in cruize control OR at a steady pace at some point due to traffic or what ever I would have to slow down. Lets say drop from 75mph down to 60mph. Once down to 60 from taking foot off accelerator (no brake) I would then drop it into 3rd gear and stomp to go around someone or just to take an opening. The second I would stomp (all within normal rpm's at that speed) the car would instantly mimic a total loss of power. Foot still mashed, car still on, no error codes etc. Its as if the car was turned off for a second. 2 to 3 seconds later it's like someone smaked its naked a** with a towel and said WAKE UP! It would at that moment jump back into what should have been the prior responce when I stomped it orriginally.

Throttle lag as you put it is the result of the drive-by-wire. It was there on my GT prior to tune. It was there on the other GT I test drove before purchasing this one. I did not see that change until I got my tune and that eliminated the lag which was seperate from the TSB issue.

Having said that, after getting the new pump I switched back to the stock tune to see if the lag was still there. It was greatly improved. Although it in no way compares to my performance tune. I say get the pump replaced. It could only help. They will not replace it (not a recall) if you do not have the hesitation issue so know that. I have not heard anyone say they had to reproduce it but I know they must hear from you that its a problem.

Hope this info is helpful in some way.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:50 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Thanks for that, flewbyu - very helpful.