Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 04:38 PM
lilspeedy16
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger

I am getting ready to buy a Supercharger kit for my 05 GT and I do not know which one to go with. Please advise.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:41 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger

if i were buying one today, i would go with the Whipple.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:50 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron
if i were buying one today, i would go with the Whipple.
Not to be a jerk - but you are taking an awful lot on faith! (for one that it will even ship!)

Call me a fuddy-duddy, but I am not trying to break new ground when working on my car - I accept I am not going to produce the first 9000HP streetable 'stang...

Let someone else work the bugs out!

Whipple also comes at a high premium - even higher if you include actual delivery... Has no track record on the street other than "whipple" name... which might help if it were not for the chronic delays of this product hinting of something "rotten in denmark"...

Multiple threads on this - even one with a vote going on... Saleen was winning last I checked. I was influenced by price and existing emissions/carb status of saleen that was (at least the time) still pending on the KB.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:57 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Agreed. I've done quite a bit of reading on the various S/C's and for
me it comes down to:

1) Whipple
2) Kenne Bell
3) Saleen VI

"you are taking an awful lot on faith! (for one that it will even ship!) "
Old 08-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

My buddy just ordered a Paxton 2200 with AA Intercooler tuner kit. Came in at under 4 grand.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Perhaps a better answer to your question is:
1. Whipple is not out there yet as far as I know and there are various threads discussing how much it costs to make it "complete"
2. KB is often described as the "most complete kit" and between Saleen and KB at the lower end (below 500HP) it is largely a fashion show - either will do the job just fine
3. roush procharger is a "roots" blower (older technology - less efficient - only selling feature is potential drivetrain warranty through roush that other methods do not offer)
4. Screw (KB/Saleen/Whipple) is better for torque everywhere in the RPM range than centrifugal - twin screw generally makes more HP per PSI of boost.
5. Centrifugal (vortech/paxton etc...) is fine for making power numbers, but at the upper RPM range and generally at higher boost per HP (but they often - though not always - cost less)

Hope that helps...
Old 08-02-2006, 02:36 AM
paco_pony
2nd Gear Member

if your going to stay at the 450 rwhp mark ( where most say the limit is for the stock internals), then I'm not sure it matters. there are a lot of great systems out there ot get you to that mark. research all the biggies....procharger, vortech, KB, Saleen, etc.

but if you are looking to eventually up the boost when you get forged internals etc., make sure you got a system that you can upgrade as well.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:01 PM
lilspeedy16
2nd Gear Member

I will be upgrading all of the internals in about 6 months to a year. I was looking at the procharger kit. They show on there website a GT that put down 575 rwhp and a stock motor.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

It won't put that much hp down for very long, just because a mfg claims something don't expect your car to do the same thing. All they have to do is get one dyno pull in, to be able to claim that.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:25 PM
lilspeedy16
2nd Gear Member

What about Paxton? I have looked at there HO kit. I want something that when you get on it the power is there instantly. I do not want it to have to hit a higher rpm before it realy takes off.

Quick Reply: Supercharger