Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Different Powerplantes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:59 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Different Powerplantes?

I was wondering who out there is runnin anything other than the fact. 4.6L 3v.
Looking for strokers, 5.4L swaps, 03-04 4V swaps...Anything that didnt come Factory installed

Thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 02:46 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Different Powerplantes?

5.4L swaps are too much trouble for very many people ( if any ) to be doing them. You would have to change out the entire PCM circuit ( wiring, box, sensors, etc ) to get it to work. Also there are space restrictions ( unless you are running full race trim ). And until aftermarket parts start becoming available for the Shelby you would not be able to change out the headers.

Stroker kits for the S197 motors for the most part seem to be pretty undesirable unless you have intentions on rebuilding every 10k miles or so. Companies are achieving the "stroke" by using different rods and the difference in length is actually causing the cylinder sleeves to work loose in the block. If you are interested in more displacement, do it with an iron block and let someone do it that knows what they are doing. Boss330 Racing has a couple of them running around. One in perticular that I know of is on a turbo car that is running low 11s.

Don't know why anyone would want to do a 4v swap. Sure, if you have the right block I would say use it, but heads and all would end up being a pain in the butt. And pretty much all you would be doing is adding more weight and not achieving any benefit from it.

There are plenty of people that have been forced in to a rebuild that are going to teksid blocks. So I guess you could say that is something other than stock
Old 08-06-2006, 02:56 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

5.4L swaps are too much trouble for very many people ( if any ) to be doing them. You would have to change out the entire PCM circuit ( wiring, box, sensors, etc ) to get it to work. Also there are space restrictions ( unless you are running full race trim ). And until aftermarket parts start becoming available for the Shelby you would not be able to change out the headers.

Stroker kits for the S197 motors for the most part seem to be pretty undesirable unless you have intentions on rebuilding every 10k miles or so. Companies are achieving the "stroke" by using different rods and the difference in length is actually causing the cylinder sleeves to work loose in the block. If you are interested in more displacement, do it with an iron block and let someone do it that knows what they are doing. Boss330 Racing has a couple of them running around. One in perticular that I know of is on a turbo car that is running low 11s.

Don't know why anyone would want to do a 4v swap. Sure, if you have the right block I would say use it, but heads and all would end up being a pain in the butt. And pretty much all you would be doing is adding more weight and not achieving any benefit from it.

There are plenty of people that have been forced in to a rebuild that are going to teksid blocks. So I guess you could say that is something other than stock
I have already done a little research on this subject(5.4L swap) and seems your are pretty correct in you assements. I do have a question for you about the stroker kits. Its somethin you brung up that i didnt realize....
Stroker kits for the S197 motors for the most part seem to be pretty undesirable unless you have intentions on rebuilding every 10k miles or so. Companies are achieving the "stroke" by using different rods and the difference in length is actually causing the cylinder sleeves to work loose in the block.
I haven't thought of any of this. I had been anticipating goin with a Forged 5.0 or 5.1 stroker after I get my Turbo kit(a year or so away still). I had realized that there would be long term problems with sleaves or any of that....[&o]
Old 08-08-2006, 02:18 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SweetGT

I haven't thought of any of this. I had been anticipating goin with a Forged 5.0 or 5.1 stroker after I get my Turbo kit(a year or so away still). I had realized that there would be long term problems with sleaves or any of that....[&o]
As long as you are doing that much work, just pick yourself up an iron block and you won't have to worry about it. You will only be adding about 70lbs to the total weight with the iron block and you will more than make up for it with the displacement increast. Shoot, relocate your battery to the trunk and you made up for the added weight on the front end!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:22 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman
As long as you are doing that much work, just pick yourself up an iron block and you won't have to worry about it. You will only be adding about 70lbs to the total weight with the iron block and you will more than make up for it with the displacement increast. Shoot, relocate your battery to the trunk and you made up for the added weight on the front end!
I was wondering about that...I'm still a year or two away but it doesnt hurt to explore all options.