Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Big power with superchargers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 07:25 PM
lukoi66
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Big power with superchargers...

at what point do you think they reach a non streetable utility? And if there's a certain HP limit, wouldn't SC's hit that wall as well potentially?

Old 08-10-2006, 08:14 PM
macdaddyslomo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cekim

ORIGINAL: macdaddyslomo
Turbo's make more heat , but they also aren't parasitic on the engine. They are more efficient....usually with an intercooler, underhood heat really isnt a problem. I am assuming you are talking about charge temps. I seriously doubt overheating the engine would really become an issue any more so than a supercharger
Not so much a function of efficiency as it is "where does the heat build up"?

With a twin turbo setup you have 2 red-hot hunks of metal under the hood, full headers ands and something like 6 feet (really rough estimate) of tubing snaking around under the hood...

I was not concerned about the charge temp so much as I am the heat under the hood period... Screws do make lots of heat, but nothing like a turbo turbine...

good point.

heat on a turbo set up isnt that difficult to handle though. higher capacity radiator, along with heat extractors on the hood would andle that

....however a good turbo setup should be capable of higher peak numbers than a supercharger. When you are talking about 700-900+ hp cars, I dont see some tubing or spending a few hundred more to handle heat being much of a problem
Old 08-11-2006, 01:32 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

....however a good turbo setup should be capable of higher peak numbers than a supercharger
Exactly my point with streetability. Moving your powerband upward necessitates other mods to use that power. For example by using a monster turbo or supercharger(centrifugal style), you will need very low gears to make use of it. By having low gears, you will also need a much better clutch or higher stall torque converter. I think that most people who have ever owned one would agree that a 4puck race clutch or a 4k rpm stall converter are just not practical for everyday use. I had a 4 puck clutch in my Turbo Supra, and it was impossible to drive in traffic. There was no slip, the clutch is either fully engaged, or disengaged. I had a stiff neck everday till I sold that car.