Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

LT's and smog

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: LT's and smog

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Ok, so the answer to the first question is they're not getting around the smog legal. The LTs are pretty much not smog legal anywhere. Here in CA though, its every 5-6 years on new vehicles, so its not too bad to switch the stock back once every 5-6 years.

Now, LT headers are time consuming as are all headers. It depends on who's doing it. Shops that have done many headers on the new mustangs will probably be able to knock the job out PROPERLY in about 4-6hrs. Fitment can sometimes be an issue depending on what headers you go with. About brand, JBA and Bassani all the way! Great quality and unbelievable sound with the Bassani LTs and bassani X. Sounds just awesome. Dont have any clips, but have a buddy whos got this and its great.

As for price, checkout www.RPMoutlet.com They're prices are quite reasonable

Actually that is incorrect info. Your first Smog Check on a brand new car is due in 6 years and thereafter will be required every two years just like all other cars. Also in Ca. If you get pulled over by the CHP or any other Police and they tell you to pop the hood and see LT they can technically impound your car and sell it.

As for RPM Outlet I would not buy from them. Way to many horror stories. Great prices but if there is a problem with your part good luck getting it fixed by them.

I would suggest the JBA Shorties and the Bassani X Pipe without cats. You can get just the X pipe and it is 50 state legal.

Richard
Yeah, i think you're right about the smog time 6yrs and then 2yrs, BUT that doesnt really matter to flewbyu bcz hes not in CA anyway. Now about the CHP or Police pulling you over and impounding your car...You're really pushing an extreme case there! That is a very very rare, specific, and unlikely case. Where is the logic behind impounding a vehicle and selling the entire vehicle due to a 600 dollar exhaust upgrade without giving the driver/owner a chance to correct the violation IF in fact there is a violation. Now, the practical and likely case is a simple infraction citation; similar to a broken tailight. Get it fixed and show them you got it fixed, case dismissed. If it didnt pass smog, get it to pass smog and again case dismissed.

About RPM outlet, haven't bought from them but their prices seemed reasonable. And if there is a defective part, it is covered by the manufacturer, not the distributor.

And lastly, If you do JBA shorties without cats, its not legal anyway, so what does it matter if the x pipe is 50 state legal? And like CrazyAl said, "No cats = instant fail of tailpipe test. Also, a lack of cats is going to be obvious to even the stupidest of inspectors."
Old 08-16-2006, 08:48 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Trying to get in on the group buy for the LT's and a catted X.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:19 PM
FastShadow
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

Trying to get in on the group buy for the LT's and a catted X.
What group buy? and how much
Old 08-16-2006, 06:50 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I think that we all know that technically (according to the letter of the law), Lontubes are NOT smog legal. I'm not suggesting otherwise.

However, what I am saying is that if you play it smart, your chance of getting busted is about equal to your chance of getting bit by a rattlesnake.

In order for you to get busted, a lot of things have to happen--none of them very likely:

First, someone has to look carefully at your car, both under the hood and underneath. You can't see much from "up top". This is not going to happen on either an inspection or if you get pulled over UNLESS you **** off the inspector/cop and give them a reason to do it. It won't happen on a routine traffic stop, though it might if you get busted "red-handed" in a street race.

Second, even if they DO look at your car, they have to actually NOTICE that what you have isn't stock--not very likely unless the guy happens to be a gearhead.

Third, they have to recogize your parts as illegal. This is quite unlikley simply due to the fact that there are so many different cars and possible mods out there--I don't see how anyone can keep all the options straight. Generally, they know to look for giveaways, like "does the exhaust have cats?".

Fourth, they have to care enough about it to either fail you or write you a ticket. If this happens, you simply bring up: "Yes sir, my car is modified. But I installed the 'street' version of these parts, not the 'race' type. See my catalyic converters right here...." If they tell you there is a problem, you can always play dumb: "but I thought these WERE legal. After all, I paid extra for the cats"...and so on.

If you do happen to get unlucky and fail an inspection, or get a "fix-it ticket" then you simply go somewhere else for your inspection and you're good to go.

Now, on the other hand, if you have a lengthy history of speeding and racing citations and all the local cops know you and your modded-out cars, well, that might be a different story....
Old 08-16-2006, 07:34 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Yeah, i think you're right about the smog time 6yrs and then 2yrs, BUT that doesnt really matter to flewbyu bcz hes not in CA anyway. Now about the CHP or Police pulling you over and impounding your car...You're really pushing an extreme case there! That is a very very rare, specific, and unlikely case. Where is the logic behind impounding a vehicle and selling the entire vehicle due to a 600 dollar exhaust upgrade without giving the driver/owner a chance to correct the violation IF in fact there is a violation. Now, the practical and likely case is a simple infraction citation; similar to a broken tailight. Get it fixed and show them you got it fixed, case dismissed. If it didnt pass smog, get it to pass smog and again case dismissed.

About RPM outlet, haven't bought from them but their prices seemed reasonable. And if there is a defective part, it is covered by the manufacturer, not the distributor.

And lastly, If you do JBA shorties without cats, its not legal anyway, so what does it matter if the x pipe is 50 state legal? And like CrazyAl said, "No cats = instant fail of tailpipe test. Also, a lack of cats is going to be obvious to even the stupidest of inspectors."

Bassani has an X Pipe that mounts after the stock cats and is 50 state legal. So that is why i said it. Also there are many counties in California who are currently enforcing very aggressively the Emission regs and are in fact impounding cars and selling them. They are of course targeting the Ricers more so but they have also impounded many Mustangs. I know a few of the counties in Los Angeles area re dong this and In Sacramento they are also doing it. And as far as the CHP not kniowng what is and is not legal. Rest assyured some of them do in fact know. They actually have a special task force that has been trained specifically in vehicle modifitcations so if you think the cops won't know your only fooling yourself.

Richard
Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

FastShadow--They wont post price. They say they are not allowed. I am waiting to hear back from them. So far nothing yet. We will see I guess. Will let you know as soon as I know. Its on MF

06GT4RAD--- What I got from that is stay out of Calli! I also dont get why they would sell a car when they can just give a fine or repair order? Or how is that legal. I dont get the selling part. Who cares, I'm here.

CrazyAl--- Good write up. I was gonna use these funds for n20 but I backed out of my install next week because of the trip. (9hrs one way) I was gonna visit some family and get it installed while in the shops area. But since I will not be near them if I have any issues I passed. I dont feel comfortable with any other shops because I have not delt with any of them before. The ones I have spoke with on the phone have not made a good impression on me at all from the customer service point of view. I am gonna start with letting some of the shops do smaller things to see if they are better in person than on the phone. If they do ok and their work is good then I will let them move up to more costly installs. I do think the 1,300 to 1,500 is quite a bit for maybe 20rwhp and some sound on the Lts and X. I dunno guys. I just dont know..Sure would have liked the spray. I may not do anything..
Old 08-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

06GT4RAD--- What I got from that is stay out of Calli. I also dont get why they would sell a car when they can just give a fine or repair order. I dont get the selling part. Who cares, I'm here.
+10 My point exactly.