Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

LT's and smog

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:30 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default LT's and smog

Hey guys,

How are you guys with smog retsrictions in your state getting around that with Long tubes? I want to get these but every time I look at the print around the product it says' Not smog legal in many states"

I'm in Maryland and we go through the test every 2 years. And no, I will not be switching back to stock every two years so don't suggest it! lol

While on the subject of headers, I heard its an all day job, like 8 hours or something. Is this true? I am going to go with a catted X as well. I dont want to add to my troubles by going with a cattless one. Is there a brand of a X and headers that people seem to trend towards?

While you guys are in the mood for sharing who is the best (price- install- service) I Have Brenspeed purchases but I need someone closer to me. Other than the distance they are great. Any help would be appreciated.

I guess if it came down to it I could just purchase and wait to find someone to install at a later date. Based on that who would be the cheepest?

Any sound clips of an X with LTs would be great. I have only heard one but wanted to compare.

Thanks for the info.....
Old 08-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: LT's and smog

ORIGINAL: flewbyu

Hey guys,

How are you guys with smog retsrictions in your state getting around that with Long tubes? I want to get these but every time I look at the print around the product it says' Not smog legal in many states"

I'm in Maryland and we go through the test every 2 years. And no, I will not be switching back to stock every two years so don't suggest it! lol

While on the subject of headers, I heard its an all day job, like 8 hours or something. Is this true? I am going to go with a catted X as well. I dont want to add to my troubles by going with a cattless one. Is there a brand of a X and headers that people seem to trend towards?

While you guys are in the mood for sharing who is the best (price- install- service) I Have Brenspeed purchases but I need someone closer to me. Other than the distance they are great. PMed and called Evolution. No reply on PM and the person who answered phone said Fred would call me back. That was about two hours ago, no call yet so I guess I will mark Evo out of the choices. If I want to spend money and cant get a call then I would hate to see what would happen if I had an issue afterwards. None the less any other choices or help would be appreciated.

I guess if it came down to it I could just purchase and wait to find someone to install at a later date. Based on that who would be the cheepest?

Any sound clips of an X with LTs would be great. I have only heard one but wanted to compare.

Thanks for the info.....
Ok, so the answer to the first question is they're not getting around the smog legal. The LTs are pretty much not smog legal anywhere. Here in CA though, its every 5-6 years on new vehicles, so its not too bad to switch the stock back once every 5-6 years.

Now, LT headers are time consuming as are all headers. It depends on who's doing it. Shops that have done many headers on the new mustangs will probably be able to knock the job out PROPERLY in about 4-6hrs. Fitment can sometimes be an issue depending on what headers you go with. About brand, JBA and Bassani all the way! Great quality and unbelievable sound with the Bassani LTs and bassani X. Sounds just awesome. Dont have any clips, but have a buddy whos got this and its great.

As for price, checkout www.RPMoutlet.com They're prices are quite reasonable
Old 08-15-2006, 05:29 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Ok, Good info. I did not know the the Lt's were not legal any place. I hope a few more guys chime in here. I'm not thrilled at all about switching this every 2 years. #1 because its a pain and #2 it cost alot to have someone keep doing that. I know nothing about work under the hood so I cant (WOULD NEVER TRY) do it. Thats a bummer. That may have just convinced me not to get these. Sucks! Is this system really loud? I have Mac ab's now and to me that is louder than the stock and sounds good. Has a little drone at times.....

Old 08-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, another thing you might want to consider is the JBA equal length headers for the 05-06 GTs. These sound great, and despite what everyone says about the power, they DO increase flow greatly over stock and add power to the wheels when coupled with a whole exhaust set up (intake, x, high flow mufflers etc). Seen this from experience (about 9rwhp on dyno with a street tune). So its not as much as LTs (28 on dyno), but they will give you looks, sound, performance, and best of all in you case, they ARE legal!
Old 08-15-2006, 06:22 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Regarding the legality of longtubes:

The main issue here is that according to the EPA (and some state laws), *ANY* change to your exhaust system is illegal, unless it is certified as legal an issued an exemption number. The key here is ANY change: it doesn't matter if the mod would DECREASE emissions (or increase)--if you fool with it, it's illegal. Most header makers don't bother to do the EPA certification testing becasue it is extremely expensive, a major hassle, and most customers are going to buy the products anyway....which brings me to point #2.

PRACTICALLY SPEAKING, you won't have any trouble if you put longtubes on your car along with a CATTED X/H-pipe. The reason is that even though the mod might be technically illegal, you can pass a tailpipe smog test with it. Also, you will pass a computer scan as well. In other words, the only way you would get busted is if you get unlucky and get a very observant (and ****) inspector who happens to notice that your car has "illegal parts" EVEN THOUGH you passed the tailpipe test and ECU check.

Let's face it: most inspectors aren't the brightest of people. They are working a low-paying, unpleasant job, and there is no way that they are experts on the exact specifications of every make and model of car out there. They want to get you in and out as soon as possible, so they can get back to goofing off. More that likely all they will do is a simple cursory inspection. If they do decide to be proactive and look under your car, they will see your cats, and that's the end of it.

Chances are you'll be fine. Even if someone gets on your case about it, you have some very good arguments on your side: your car has cats, it doesn't throw codes, and you can pass a tailpipe test. The only way you are going to get in trouble is if you act like a complete jerk.

Of course, if you don't run cats, then you are playing a different ballgame. No cats = instant fail of tailpipe test. Also, a lack of cats is going to be obvious to even the stupidest of inspectors. So, if you want to run an offroad pipe (no cats) then you need to be prepared to swap your stock stuff back in, or you need to find a really lenient inspection station.

Regarding brands of headers, I don't like JBA becasue they use cheap 409 stainless. I would use Kooks or Dynatech instead, both of which are 304 stainless, which is a far superior material. Bassainis are OK. I installed a set on a buddy's car. Their weld quality and ease of fitment was not as good as the Dynatechs I put on my car. However, now that I already done a set of headers, I was able to install them more quickly than the first time I did it.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:22 PM
FastShadow
1st Gear Member

+1. The LTs are really great on sound and power, but they arent legal (smog) anywhere that i know and they are a pain to put in. The JBA shortys are very nice, they dont produce as much power like skeleton said, but they are better than stock in essentially every way and fit perfectly and have a carb # thus legal. For the X pipes, bassani really has the best out there imho.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:26 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

I see. Ok, So I got intouch with the tuner and he said he can do Kooks LT with an X. He says I can keep my catts so it will not give me any smog trouble. Also because Im keeping cats its not as loud as cattless. ( A good thing because I dont want to ROAR) Just want a nice growl. Does this sound like something that works? Is Kooks a good product?

So funny- speaking of Roar. I was at the movies and this guy had a Stang (Fox body- Orange) dont know much else. He started it and I kid you not, that thing was soooooooooooooooooooo loud it sounded like a small jet. He was not even reving it, just started it and let it idle. It sounded muscle alright but way, way, way to loud. So loud that if you were parked two cars over you would have to talk loud just so someone beside you could hear you. I dont want that kinda loud at all. If we were not late for the movie I would have talked to him about his mods but they were coming out and we were going in.

CrazyAl--- Saw your post after I already posted the above. Very good info. Thats the kind of stuff I need. Thoughts, plus examples. Great! It looks as if I posted my tuner post after you posted your post. What do you think about what he said? in fact, let me read your whole post again... ... Ok---just re-read your post. So is there a difference between keeping my stock cats and going with high flow catts? I think he ment me keeping my stock catts because he mentioned a little cutting or something to the H. I will confirm with hime prior to install.

One other thing-----When you say I should be fine with a "catted x or h" do you mean an X or H with high flow catts or an X or H with stock catts? I guess you probably mean an X or H with ANY KINDA CATTS should be fine? Also I have been through smog here many years as we all have and the guys here are really, really slow acting. Almost like the test all day are burning their brain cells out or something so I am not woorried about the people who do the test. I was only worried that the physical change in the engine would be picked up by a computer. No worries about Mr. ****

I know these questions seem real silly to you guys who are pros at all things engine but it really does help me and others who dont know about these things. Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:39 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Ok, so the answer to the first question is they're not getting around the smog legal. The LTs are pretty much not smog legal anywhere. Here in CA though, its every 5-6 years on new vehicles, so its not too bad to switch the stock back once every 5-6 years.

Now, LT headers are time consuming as are all headers. It depends on who's doing it. Shops that have done many headers on the new mustangs will probably be able to knock the job out PROPERLY in about 4-6hrs. Fitment can sometimes be an issue depending on what headers you go with. About brand, JBA and Bassani all the way! Great quality and unbelievable sound with the Bassani LTs and bassani X. Sounds just awesome. Dont have any clips, but have a buddy whos got this and its great.

As for price, checkout www.RPMoutlet.com They're prices are quite reasonable

Actually that is incorrect info. Your first Smog Check on a brand new car is due in 6 years and thereafter will be required every two years just like all other cars. Also in Ca. If you get pulled over by the CHP or any other Police and they tell you to pop the hood and see LT they can technically impound your car and sell it.

As for RPM Outlet I would not buy from them. Way to many horror stories. Great prices but if there is a problem with your part good luck getting it fixed by them.

I would suggest the JBA Shorties and the Bassani X Pipe without cats. You can get just the X pipe and it is 50 state legal.

Richard
Old 08-15-2006, 11:58 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Kennebell says the stock exhaust is capable of handing 600 HP.

For what you might gain, it may not be worth the hassle. I've heard LTs give you about 30HP.

Most folks are modding exhausts just for the sound.

This is one reason I went with the Saleen SC. It gave me well over 100 more HP at the wheels and it is 50 states legal!

Thx,

Mike

Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 AM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

I hear you brother. I just cant swallow that 6k pill for the charger. Wish I could.

Quick Reply: LT's and smog