Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

TB Spacer and 07 Factory Plenum cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:34 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

Default TB Spacer and 07 Factory Plenum cover?

Does anybody know if the 07 plenum cover will work with a Throttle Body Spacer?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:21 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TB Spacer and 07 Factory Plenum cover?

I don't know if it will work or not.

However, you might want to seriously rethink the purchase of the spacer. There have been a few reports of people that tried the spacer and had zero performance gains and a whole host of idle/driveability problems as a result of installing it. Do a search...the TB spacer and aftermarket TBs are infamous for causing trouble on these cars.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:46 PM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

I don't know if it will work or not.

However, you might want to seriously rethink the purchase of the spacer. There have been a few reports of people that tried the spacer and had zero performance gains and a whole host of idle/driveability problems as a result of installing it. Do a search...the TB spacer and aftermarket TBs are infamous for causing trouble on these cars.
10-4. I was aware of the 0 gain problem... Only reason I considered it is because somone wants to sell me one at a virtual "give away" price so I figured what the hell! (Maybe thats why he's "giving it away"... hmmmm...) And I liked the shiny anodized blue. Ooooo, shiny![sm=bounceybounce.gif]... But if it's in ANYWAY a step backwards, then I'm not interested. Thanks for the heads-up.

Still be interested to hear if anyone has one installed and if it fits with the plenum cover though... just curious now.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:39 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Unfortunately, the TBS does not work with the 07 plenum cover.

As to whether or not the TB makes a difference, I have to disagree with you. I installed my tb spacer a year ago and the performance incrrease was immediatyly noticeable. The throttle was MUCH more responsive.

When I intalled the plenum cover, I removed the TB spacer and agan, I mmediately noticed the difference. Without the TB spacer, I had to use more throttle in first gear. At first, I kept stalling out in first gear. It took me over a week to get used to the reduced torque.

I also noticed a decrease in gas mileage. I'm getting about 1-2 mpg less without the throttle body.

If you search the forums, you may find some threads from some people that did a before and after dyno run and it showed that although the TBS did not provide any additional HP it did provide 10 more Ft-Lbs of Torue and moved the HP curve to a lower RPM range thus allowing you to reach your peak HP much quicker.

On a mostly stock engine, it does make a big difference. The other nice thing about it is that it does not require a tune. If you have some minor mods as I do (C&L, Diablo tunes, UD pulleys) it still makes a big difference.

The people that are saying a TBS makes no difference have obviously not tried it.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:56 AM
6605stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz

Unfortunately, the TBS does not work with the 07 plenum cover.

As to whether or not the TB makes a difference, I have to disagree with you. I installed my tb spacer a year ago and the performance incrrease was immediatyly noticeable. The throttle was MUCH more responsive.

When I intalled the plenum cover, I removed the TB spacer and agan, I mmediately noticed the difference. Without the TB spacer, I had to use more throttle in first gear. At first, I kept stalling out in first gear. It took me over a week to get used to the reduced torque.

I also noticed a decrease in gas mileage. I'm getting about 1-2 mpg less without the throttle body.

If you search the forums, you may find some threads from some people that did a before and after dyno run and it showed that although the TBS did not provide any additional HP it did provide 10 more Ft-Lbs of Torue and moved the HP curve to a lower RPM range thus allowing you to reach your peak HP much quicker.

On a mostly stock engine, it does make a big difference. The other nice thing about it is that it does not require a tune. If you have some minor mods as I do (C&L, Diablo tunes, UD pulleys) it still makes a big difference.

The people that are saying a TBS makes no difference have obviously not tried it.
So you noticed a massive increase in throttle response even with your C&L/Diablo tunes? What do you consider mostly stock?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:05 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't say it was a massive increase but it was definitely noticeable. I also got slightly better gas mileage. I don't have very serious mods[ just the C&L, UD pulleys and the Diablo tune.

I don't know if some of the guys that have more extensive mods may notice less or no perfomrance increase. People with blowers, super chargers, turbos or Nitrous might not see any performance increase, I don't know for sure as I haven't heard from anyone with these mods using a TBS.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

I got my car dyno'd after the installation of my TBS and it was a 9 rwhp gain. As far as the engine cover it will not fit. I have it on mine all you have to do is cut the front tabs off and it rest just perfect over the top of the engine.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:37 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

That is great to hear. How is the front being held on? Can you please post some pictures?

I would love to have my TBS back on.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:41 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Well, I finally had enough of missing ny TB spacer and I removed the Ford Plenum cover and re-installed the TBS. The difference was immediately noticeable. I then went back and cut the front of the Plenum cover with a roto-Zip, but now there is nothing to hold down the front of the cover. I bought a set of 21" ty-wraps and some plastic 1/2" wire clips. I epoxied the wire clips to the Plenum cover and I'm waiting for it to dry.

I'll post pictures and let everyone know how succesful I was after the epoxy dries.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I finished the modification of the Ford Plenum cover to fit with the throttle body spacer. Only time will tell how this will hold up.

The following link describes the procedure:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/plenumCvr.htm