Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

4.10 gear install a bust

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 06:20 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.10 gear install a bust

ORIGINAL: viking396

Agreed, will find a new location for the gears. Now, where in the NW Suburbs of Chicago can I get this done. Man, if this were a Chevy I'd have choices up the wazoo.

Why don't you PM Stoenr he might be able to hook you up with a good place to go in your area.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:05 AM
cortc
2nd Gear Member

It's been around along time and Ford themselves managed to f*** it up with a TSB required on many 2005-2006...

ORIGINAL: viking396

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

Find someone else to do the job. Sounds like they don't know our cars to well you might end up with a lot whine in your gears if you have problems you might get stuck with a noisy car and wished you went some were else.
To be honest I care more about them knowing the 8.8 rear end than I do the 3V for this job and the 8.8 has been around a long time. I won't be having them do any engine work, that seems to be the best conclusion.

Which sucks becase they are 3 miles or so away and a lot of people recommended them.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
05CLASSIC
2nd Gear Member

I have a mechanic up the street from me that does all our repairs for us. He is not trained specificly for one brand or one type of car. He too might not know any of the updates on the newer mustangs but I wouldn't hesitate one minute to bring him the car for gears. This guy(like most shop owners) have been around cars all their lives. He also works on race cars with his buddies at nite. I know acouple of guys that own their own shop and I think they both would do a great job on the car---especially the rear end. Pretty basic for a pro with the means to do the job. IMO.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:14 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05CLASSIC

I have a mechanic up the street from me that does all our repairs for us. He is not trained specificly for one brand or one type of car. He too might not know any of the updates on the newer mustangs but I wouldn't hesitate one minute to bring him the car for gears. This guy(like most shop owners) have been around cars all their lives. He also works on race cars with his buddies at nite. I know acouple of guys that own their own shop and I think they both would do a great job on the car---especially the rear end. Pretty basic for a pro with the means to do the job. IMO.
Agreed, however these guys claim to be mod motor gearheads... yet didn't know the engine in the '05 and newer was aluminum. Seems pretty basic to know whats under the hood of the car you want customers to bring in for mods.

I picked up the car Friday with excuse after excuse being tossed my way as I walked in, now I own my own business so I know that things happen but they had my car for 3 solid days and nothing got done. I walk in and they have my hood open, so now I'm thinking why the hell is my hood open for a gear change?? He tells me he was looking the CAI over to help a customer decide which one to buy, so in 3 days the only thing that happened was my car helped him decide on what CAI to get, for another customer. Not only that but there were dirty hand prints all over the engine compartment so they were all over the place on my car. It's black so everything shows, hand prints on the hood, I just ignored him while he was apologizing and asked for my keys. I open my car door and find food particles on the drivers seat, my boil is now going up even further so I bait him and ask when he'll have another opening, his response "maybe tuesday, not sure"... unfugging believable...

If I made an appointment with my clients, no scratch that, a brand new client and then blew him off for 3 solid days and then threw excuse after excuse at him I fully expect to get fired from that project. If they installed the gears and I went to pick the car up and then told them, geez guys, I'm sorry, but sh*t happens and I don't have the money" I can promise they would be more pissed than I am now.

For his own sake he better not call me today, and if he does call tomorrow he's going to get an ear full, but I somehow doubt I'll hear from these guys again except they bought the gears and supplies, I didn't, yeah, they'll call, someday. To think I was honestly thinking of having them do serious work to the engine....
Old 08-28-2006, 03:53 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Probably wanted to use your car to expriement on.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:43 PM
05CLASSIC
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, didn't realize that they had the car for three days. No excuse for that!! Doesn't sound to good, specially with the crumbs inside. I'm sure you'll find someone soon(atleast I hope you do because I'm waiting for your report!!)
Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

I have to call around, not sure who to trust this to. I was hoping to have them done by now so I could break them in and then run it at the track. I'm losing time for the season soon. I'll do some calling tomorrow and see what I can find.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

There is a couple of different people listed on the chicagolandmustang.com site. Give it a shot. I have to get mine done soon so I can enjoy them before the car gets put in the garage.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:13 AM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

Sessler Ford, Libertyville on Milwaukee ave.
Talk to Service Manager Joe
$420 special to setup an 8.8 rearend complete. Their normal price is $499
That's without parts (gears,shims,bearings,lube,seal,gasket)
They did my 06 when it was right off the delivery truck. They installed a 4.10 and rebuilt the traction lock in my fox body yesterday. They did my supercharger and are very mod friendly. They do them all the time.
It is a five hour job with the traction lock rebuild.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:35 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

That's expensive but may be worth it. As I guessed no call from the shop so maybe they read this and said screw the guy, why not right, they had it for three days and only managed to get it dirty and get ideas for another customers car.

If they are reading this, you took the damn easy way out, try the phone and instead of excuses try "Take the car in Tuesday, we will get it done, it will be right and we'll back that 100% no excuses".
If you don't understand why I'm pissed, it's best we don't do business.

Quick Reply: 4.10 gear install a bust