Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

4.10 gear install a bust

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:18 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.10 gear install a bust

Viking,

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having getting this done. At tha beginning of the thread, you were right in pointing out that the 8.8 has been around a long time and the fact that they were not aware of the aluminum 4.6 is irrelevant. You were also right in pulling the car after they put you off for three days.

I have done a number of R&P changes and setups over the years, but I'm not familiar with the 8.8. For that reason, since it is only about a 3 hour job, I will look for someone who has done a number of them to do mine. The key here is experience. It's sort of like a pilot. I want to fly with a 50,000 hour pilot at the controls rather than a 200 hour pilot at the controls.

Try to find someone who has done quite a number of 8.8's. If they tell you they have done 5,000 9 inch jobs but have never touched an 8.8, don't let your car be their guinea pig.

I am ASE Master which means I'm certified on rear axles as well as everything else, but I would not do an R&P on one of these without somone who has been there, done that on this axle to ask some questions of. It's all in the manual, but all axles are different to a small degree and getting one set up wrong will make a noisy or short lived rear axle.

Keep asking around for a reputable shop that has a number of 8.8 jobs under the belt. It will be with the time you spend to research this.

Good luck with it.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:40 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

Agreed, will find a new location for the gears. Now, where in the NW Suburbs of Chicago can I get this done. Man, if this were a Chevy I'd have choices up the wazoo.
I dont know how far away this is for you but there is a company that i use to order parts from for my 95 Z28 that is located in IL. They specialize in F-bodys Vettes. But started doing work on stangs when the 03-04 Cobras and looks like they might work on the new 3valves...

LS1 speed

Address:
803C Albion Ave
Schaumburg IL 60193

Old 09-05-2006, 09:39 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Man that really sucks! I am in the same boat as you looking to get them installed. I wish I knew how to do it myself! Man it sucks waiting on other people.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:37 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I googled up a video on setting up rear axles. All common axles are covered including the 8.8. It is "Differential Rebuilding" by Paul Zank(I think that's right.)

If you have never set up a gear and pinion before, I would not recommend your brand new Mustang as a guinea pig, but if you have done a few others before I think this video will prepare you for the job. I'm sure it does not cover removing the axles, but that is easily done and covered by your repair manual.

I plan on buying this video and if it is clear, and I fully expect it to be, I will do the job myself. I have successfully set up a number of axles and they are all different, some use shims, some have big adjusters like the 9" Ford, etc. It's just a matter of knowing this particular axle.

The problem after that will be getting the speedometer set without buying a Predator or some such. I am going to call the dealer and see if they will do that for me without me giving up my first born.

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Getting mine done next Tuesday. (19th) Did you find a place to do them yet?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Couldn't find the videos on Google.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:20 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I gave up on the Paul Zank video because they would not take my American Express. I found a similar one at Summit Racing for $15.95. It will probably be weekend after next before I get my hands on it. I will try to remember to post my impression but I fully expect that it will be adequate. This video was made by Richmond Gear so it probably is okay.

I'm probably overkilling in watching this video, because I read elsewhere that if you use the gears from Ford Performance, they are consistent enough that you can simply measure the pinion length against the old one and if they are the same use the same shims everywhere and you will get a good pattern and proper backlash. Do NOT assume that this will happen, you still need to check the pattern and backlash.

A manual on the 8.8 will also be necessary to know torque values and how to set up the bearings. Some are crush bearing shells and other considerations which should be studied. I have a manual on my pickup which also has an 8.8 so I will rely on that manual for this portion of the information.

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:59 PM
ponycruisin

Just go to yahoo and find a detailed how to. Thats what I did for my first gear swap. It's alot easier than you think.I hope you bought ford racing gears if you decide to do it yourself. If so you can keep the factory shim. Go for it , that's the only way to learn