Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

what kind of fuel pump to buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:28 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

Default what kind of fuel pump to buy

i need a better fuel pump, what will work, im trying to go cheap, foung some injectors from a cobra on ebay, will they work, and what kind of pumps will work
Old 08-27-2006, 11:43 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: what kind of fuel pump to buy

How much horse power do you plan on running? Need to know that before anyone can give advise on fuel pump solutions.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:46 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

i have he sallen s/c on 4 psi and my tuner has got the pump maxed out, i want to go to 8 psi and will upgrade pump and injectors
Old 08-28-2006, 12:58 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

No offense, but did your tuner tell you your pump was maxed out? Because if he did, find a new tuner. Especially considering the other threads you have started wanting to know how small of a pulley you can safely go with. If your tuner can't get enough fuel to the car with a 4lb pulley, you damn sure don't want him tuning it with a smaller pulley. What is telling him that it is maxed out? Are you dropping fuel pressure at higher RPM? What does the duty cycle of the pump look like? Is it leaning out? If so, where in the RPM range and how badly?

Your stock fuel pump will be fine to up around 425-450 hp. You start getting up in to that range, then start considering a pump and exactly how much you want to spend. You can get a GT Super Car pump for a couple of hundred bucks. You can get a Boost A Pump for about $250. Or you can go with the Shelby GT dual pump setup for around $900. One thing you can do for minimal money is to upgrade the wiring to the FPDM. Ford in their infinite wisdom took it upon themselves to run 16 gauge wire to the FPDM. You can read the voltage at the module, turn on the radio and headlights, and actually see a voltage drop. Rip out that crap wiring and install 10 gauge and that issue goes away.

Before you start throwing money at a fuel pump, just get the injectors.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:49 AM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

he said it runs lean at the end and we need to run a bigger wire just like you said, my tuner is very good, and he and the owner of sct actually have been tuning my car, and 4 psi is not bad but i would \like more, so the fuel questions are more for more psi
Old 08-28-2006, 02:37 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Just to give you a tune comparison. When I was running a 4psi pulley and injectors. Still using the stock MAF/MAS, I put down 417 to the wheels with only 15 degrees max timing and had a board flat 11.5 A/F ratio all the way up to 6300 RPM. You laid down 370 if I remember right, and said you pegged the MAS. I assume you got the MAF/MAS upgrade done and now are running out of fuel, still on the same 4psi pulley.

Now do you see why I am questioning what your tuner is saying?
Old 08-28-2006, 04:29 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

true, your right, who is your tuner
Old 08-28-2006, 04:35 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

James at HPP racing in Lewisville Texas. Absolutely one of the best shops in the country for Mustangs.
If you are looking for a mail order tune, I highly recommend talking to Jim Jr. at JDM Engineering. They are the go to guys for mail order tunes.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:21 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

are mail order tunes safe, i would think that each car is different, and 3 dif tuners have ran my car on the dyno, and all get the same results
Old 08-28-2006, 06:45 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

+1 on JDM, they are probably the best Saleen tuner in the country. I have heard nothing but good things about them and their customers' results are a testament to the time they have spent developing their tunes.

Quick Reply: what kind of fuel pump to buy