Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

So now you have a Tuner... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:09 PM
DarDan76

Newbie here, so you guys will have to be patient with me. I just turned 74 and have years of experience tuning Chevies in sprint cars, modular Fords are a different animal.
I now have in my 07 Mustang GT a BBK 62mm throttle valve and cold air intake and loaded in a Superchips flash programmer. 18 x 10 DKW Goodrich F Force on the rear and 18 x 9 on the front. These tires really hook up and now I am sure I will blow out the auto trans soon.
My question is: How strong is the 5R55S auto transmission? Will it take it?
Any info on this question will be appreciated, thank you.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 PM
DarDan76

Everybody must have gone home, EH?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:26 PM
DarDan76

Well since I am talking to myself maybe I can get some answers that are my own.
In the silence of this this thread I have figured out my problem. I am selling my Superchips Progeammer and buying a SCT from Brenspeed. I need a tune to work with my improvements I made to my 07 GT and now I'm sure the SCT will work just fine.
Also found out my auto trans will be able to take the torque the little V8 can give it providing I don't beyond 460 ft pounds of torque
Anybody want to buy my old programmer? Cheap!!!!
Now maybe we will see if there are some warm bodies on this site.

Last edited by DarDan76; 11-11-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:36 PM
V6Vin
1st Gear Member

I'm with you Dan but I have more questions then answers. I would like to see some real numbers and settings for the user options on the SCT tuner. I really need a firmer shift and am curious as to what others are setting shift press at for each gear. The Brenspeed tune is good but it is on the "conservative" side as expected.

Maybe someone with a full race tune could post up some settings for us "hands on" guys and save use a few bucks ordering tunes and having to try 3 or 4 to get what we want.?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:04 PM
DarDan76

I know what you mean V6Vin, I don't have my SCT yet and not sure what it entails with the trans tuning but will be glad to inform everybody what results I get.
I ordered it yesterday with the three tunes for octane and auto trans and my CAI and throttle body. I understand I can order more tunes for a fee and will probably need them after I see what it does.
I was surprised that the Superchips Tuner #1865 does not consider upgrades, just stock setups. But I must say the trans worked very well off the line but it was to lean for the exhaust valves.
I went with Brenspeed for the SCT and should be getting it soon.
It would be nice if several of us could work together and compare what we find in results without spending huge amounts of money experimenting.
How many people out there are using E87, E91 and E93? In Oregon that's all we have. Thanks to our governor.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

The auto mustang transmission can be programmed to:

Shift at the shift points you would like
Shift firmness
Torque converter lock/unlock in specific gears

There is no need to spend a lot of money experimenting. Make it clear to the tuner what you would like your car to do.

Modifications to the spark and variable cam timing can result in your car running at peak performance.

The way to make this happen is to download the tune to your car, take the car to a speed shop that has a dynojet and test it.
At the same time datalog specific points. Email the pull and datalog to your tuner. He will make modifications to your tune and email it back to you. Most tuners do not charge for this additional service.

You may have to repeat this several times until everything is right on.

In the end you will be very happy knowing the car is doing all it can do.

There are tuners that have their Mustangs running at peak performace using tunes that cannot be emailed out due to the fact that the tune was developed on a dyno for that specific car. (custom tune) Mine included.

Last edited by GT John; 11-21-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:16 PM
DarDan76

Thank you John, seems you have it figured out. Now my problem is to find a dyno within 300 miles. Here in the Pacific Northwest, there doesn't seem to be anybody willing to invest in that kind of equipment.
My Sprint Car runs on alcohol only and we depend on engine temp for air to fuel mixture.
I'll just have to watch the tach and see when it shifts, you know, the seat of the pants dyno and make my adjustments from there.
I have heard that the input shaft of the tranny is the weak point. If so I will be floating some valves maybe.
Just heard my tuner was shipped and it will be here on the 30th.
Thanks again John
Old 11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarDan76
Thank you John, seems you have it figured out. Now my problem is to find a dyno within 300 miles. Here in the Pacific Northwest, there doesn't seem to be anybody willing to invest in that kind of equipment.
My Sprint Car runs on alcohol only and we depend on engine temp for air to fuel mixture.
I'll just have to watch the tach and see when it shifts, you know, the seat of the pants dyno and make my adjustments from there.
I have heard that the input shaft of the tranny is the weak point. If so I will be floating some valves maybe.
Just heard my tuner was shipped and it will be here on the 30th.
Thanks again John
Dan..........I'm an SCT Dealer and not a contributing vendor to this site.

Unless your running a hell of a lot of HP you will never have to worry about the input shaft.

Our cars also require the engine temp to always be at 200 deg for better fuel atomization in the cylinders.

Unless you tell your tuner how you want the tranny to shift............it aint gonna happen with the hand held.

I'll try to visit this thread a little more often

Happy "T" day
Old 11-29-2009, 04:05 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NVR4GIT
I am looking to upgrade to CAI and a tune. I see alot of private parties selling tuners. My understanding is that tuners are registered to the car when you purchase them and can not be used on multiple cars. Is that true? Thank you.
You cant take the tunes from ur programmer and install them on a friends mustang it is infact only for ur car that is why u have to get the number from ur engine bay and give it to ur programmer. So the tunes are car specific.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:10 PM
DarDan76

Originally Posted by joutcelt
You cant take the tunes from ur programmer and install them on a friends mustang it is infact only for ur car that is why u have to get the number from ur engine bay and give it to ur programmer. So the tunes are car specific.
That is just a myth joutcelt, the only time your tuner is car specific is while you have loaded a program into your cars computer. Just go back to your stock tune and you unlock that tuner, then you can tune your friends car.
The reason you provide a code number to a supplier is for a custom tune, which not all tuners are capable.
Good luck and happy motoring.

Quick Reply: So now you have a Tuner... now what?