Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

So now you have a Tuner... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:06 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MattyJ
Hey, I just installed an Injen CAI on my 06 GT. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but I won it in a raffle at a Mustang show, so I couldn't complain too much. Now even though that CAI doesn't require a tune, I'm thinking about getting a tuner for the overall performance enhancements they give.

I'm most likely going to go with Brenspeed. I've heard nobody on here ever talk bad about them, and their free tune adjustments for Brenspeed purchased parts is awesome. I just have a question about what you get. Their site says that after you place the order for an SCT X3, they'll contact you be email to see what mods you have, etc. How many tunes do they write for you? I know Bamachips does 3, and I think I remember hearing that Brenspeed does that too, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks guys!
I have never heard of the CAI system you are using, so I cant comment on the CAI.

As stated in my previous post, anytime the flow of air into the engine is changed from stock it is best to have the car tuned. Even using a different than stock air filter can effect the air flow.

The dealers Advantage lll value files list most of the the popular CAI's. So its no problem for them to program for a popular CAI.

What you may have to do is to dyno your car, get the pull file on CD so that you can email it to you tuner of choice. Please make sure the pull includes HP, Torque and A/F.

Then he can email you back a tune based on your mods and dyno pull. It may take several attemps to get it perfect. So, be patient.

Later
Old 09-20-2008, 10:18 AM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

I ran a Granatelli CAI for about a year before I bought an SCT at Brenspeed. I gave him my module # and CAI/exhaust setup and he programmed two tunes for different octane and sent the tuner to me. Car is an auto and chirps the tires up thru 3rd gear. No issues over 100.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 AM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

One of the mods I eventually want to do with my 08 is a CAI and tune. Quick question, though: what kind of performance increase could I expect with JUST a 93 octane tune and everything else stock?

American Muscle apparently offers free tunes for life for SCTs if you buy parts from them. What I'd like to do is get the tuner first if that adds noticeable pep over stock then get the free updated tunes as I add the mods.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:32 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by jeubanks
I got an RPM Outlet gift certificate for Christmas, and I am planning on buying the SCT tuner/C&L CAI package. I called RPM and they said that they don't offer a custom tune, and that it was simple enough that I could do it on my own. (Which I don't agree with). I went with RPM becuse they are considerably cheaper ($500), but how should I go about getting the custom tune installed after I receive the tuner?
AVIOD RPM OUTLET LIKE THE PLAGUE
its a welll known fact aroung the forum here
Old 10-12-2008, 08:57 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OneLargeToe
One of the mods I eventually want to do with my 08 is a CAI and tune. Quick question, though: what kind of performance increase could I expect with JUST a 93 octane tune and everything else stock?

Read this to decide on which CAI to purchase. The article also mentions HP increase that can be expected over stock. I assume they are using 87 octane for the testing. With a 93 octane tune better performance can be expected.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html

American Muscle apparently offers free tunes for life for SCTs if you buy parts from them. What I'd like to do is get the tuner first if that adds noticeable pep over stock then get the free updated tunes as I add the mods.
With any canned tuned it is best to email your dyno pull to the tuner. If your are familiar with datalogging there are several data points that should also be datalogged for email to the tuner also (your tuner will tell you which data points to datalog). The tuner will make corrections to your tune and email it back to you for loading into the PCM. Then do another dyno pull and look for the improvements.

Canned tunes will get you close but the only way to get it right on is as mentioned above.

Have fun
Old 10-20-2008, 09:37 PM
vintagecar
1st Gear Member

with a tune on regular 89 octane and c&L kit you would probably be losing some HP, but are you doing any harm by not adding the higher octane pgm?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

you shouldn't. the lower octane tunes are still designed to work with the intake.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:40 PM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

Ok, installed BBK CAI and 62mm TB. I put the AirRaid setting from the Diablosport on there and first crank sent blue smoke out and ran like crap then died. Restarted it and it went into failsafe mode. I loaded the 91 octane tune and it ran great. Is there a setting for the BBK or should I just go with the generic? Cant return the BBK setup so I have to go with it.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:38 AM
tamgt

Default TUNER ??

i have an 05 GT automatic, i have a diablo tuner, how much horsepower will i gain if i install the canned 91 tune? the car is stock except for jba evol axel backs, also i have decided on the steeda cai with the high flo elbow is there a tune already in my tuner for this mod? how much gain will i see if i do the steeda and the tune? can the tune hurt my cars computer? will it not shift as good? sorry but im a newbie.. any response is greatly appreciated
Old 11-11-2008, 01:47 PM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

Default ? car won't start with tune, but will start without tune ?

there have been two times over the last week that my 2005 GT wouldn't start (turned over, but couldn't fire or hold idle). Each time, I removed my Xcal2 tune and returned to stock, and the car started right up.

After 2yrs of running this tune, why would my car all of a sudden be unable to start with the tune?

(other than tune, car is 100% stock)

Quick Reply: So now you have a Tuner... now what?