Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need advice from experienced 05+ a-tranny modder

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Acinonyx

Default Need advice from experienced 05+ a-tranny modder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lady is buying a new 06 GT, and can't drive stick. I've only dealt with T-56s, 460LEs, and other generic GM trannys, seeing as I am a fan of the F and Y body platforms. Anyways she wants me to modify it heavily for her, I was rather impressed with the new mustang and it's capabilities; but I've only had experience with the mach1, and the 4R70W 4-speed, which I know can handle about 550-600 horsepower with only minor modifications.

If anyone has any experience with the 5R55S automatic, I would like to know your impressions of it, the capabilities, power capacity if you've tested it and any other helpful information you have to suggest, besides buy a stick.

I saw the TCI streetfighter low stall torque converter, and I intend to pick that up, if anyone knows of some good auto tranny part vendors for the 5r55s I would be grateful for information pertaining to that as well.
(Valve body mods, shift kits, clutches, rebuild kit, gears, rearend or full race transmissions etc)

We put some money down, but it's not too late, if modifying this platform is highly unadvisable I would like to know.

Took note of the X2cal tune, I looked at the sticky's but they still didn't answer my question about power handling capability

This would be likely be a custom twin turbo setup, projected goals would be around 500-600 horses, I would build the motor first, but I just wanna know if anyone out there has pushed this platform, and how far did you get without too much slippage/problems on the stock internals.

Again thanks for your help/input, as I am completely stupid when it comes to new Mustang driveline modification,
Scott
Old 09-03-2006, 01:56 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need advice from experienced 05+ a-tranny modder

I can't give you any first hand information, sorry. However, Alternative Auto in Michigan used a 2005 Mustang GT with automatic and did quite a few modifications. They have everything document on their page:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/
http://www.alternativeauto.com/water...tml#05gtupdate

525 hp and no problems with the stock automatic transmission. 11.23 in the 1/4 mile is pretty impressive, too.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:57 AM
Acinonyx

Ah, thanks for the article.. Read it. Those are good numbers to me, especially on a practically bone stock auto.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:47 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

I got an SCT and bumped up the shift pressure 25% and that's really all it needed! Good firm shifts, just as if you'd installed a shift kit.

This transmission is responsive to computer tweaks since it is electronically controlled.

BTW, mine is handling approximately 500HP at the crank just fine.

Mike
Old 09-03-2006, 06:50 PM
wakebord99
2nd Gear Member

Welcome Acinonyx.. I hope this topic plays out i'm interested to hear how some of these other SC/Turbo guys have made out with their Autos as well. A few questions below might be a help for someone to acurately answer the questions.

1- Are you expecting to change the Red-line or shift points of the trans ?

2- Are you planning on running slicks/drag radials.. if so what sizes?

3- 600 WHP or to the fly?

I would also imaging that with that much power going through your trans your going to need a pretty serious trans cooler possibly one with a fan.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Acinonyx

To the flywheel to the wheel would be... difficult without a built motor and some serious linkage upgrades. Especially on the 91 octane gas we have out here. I would like this to be streetable, We purchased the car yesterday, after the positive responses I got from you folks, been testing it's capabilities already. I was thinking Mickey Thompson Street ET's, size I haven't determined yet.. I can see that even on the stock motor it has some traction issues. As with my other AT upgrades, I would plan on utilizing a cooler, I've had a lot of good luck with the Long Tru 40,000 GVW coolers, easy install, never messes with any of the stock internals. The only problem the large tranny coolers present is interference with intercooler mounting. But this car is pretty big, so I'll try to think of alternative mounting methods. The main fans I plan on upgrading, never had a problem with heat, except ins ome of the 4 banger nissans I did.

Though I've been tempted by a few of the pre-existing FI kits out there... If you folks haven't tested out/gotten a good writeup about a kit, I may be willing to be the guinea pig and test out the product. Though many places claim to have true bolt on applications, we all know nothing is truly quite 'bolt on'

As with my DSM and GM work, I'll try and make writeups/tutorials of a successful install, and dumb stuff to avoid doing (seeing as I will make some pretty dumb mistakes, you can bet on it)

I noted TPS was coming out with a TT system the first of october, depending on the components, I may try and give that one a whirl.

If anyone has recommendations on other TT setups they'd like to see tried, I'm open to suggestions.

Oh yeah... Does the magnaflow exhaust sound good?.. good as in loud, with all of the rumble one should expect from a V8, I personally love resonance, but I'm not sure how the lady would feel about it.. Any suggestions or tips for parts would be welcome.

What is SCT an acronym for?

Thanks,
Scott