Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which Flywheel and Clutch???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:03 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default Which Flywheel and Clutch???

Which aluminum flywheel and racing clutch is the best for our GT's?
How much does it cost for the install?
Is it a project that can be tackled at home or should I just pay to have it done?
Ohhh, and where did you order yours from?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:38 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Which Flywheel and Clutch???

NOBODY HAS A COMMENT OR SUGGESTION????
Old 09-06-2006, 11:30 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

You need to provide more information as to what your HP levels and goals are. A clutch that's good for one guy might not be good for another.

The Centerforce dual-friction clutches are popular. However, if you get one, make sure you get the recent model with 9 weights. The earlier type had a lot of problems.

I am partial to Spec clutches. They are available in a wide variety of types, from "mild to wild". Which one you get depends on your HP levels. Though, I think for most people the Stage 2+ is a good buy. It's very streetable and it holds 680 ft-lb.

As for home vs. shop, that depends on how serious of a home mechanic you are. Clutches are a pain in the butt. I think that if you need to ask that question, you probably ought to have a shop do it.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:31 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

I was a diesel mechanic for the Army my first three years of Service...but that was from 96-99, which was a little while back. I am mechanically inclined in both diesel and regular vehicles. Just never tried playing with the clutch or flywheel mainly because I didnt feel a desire for the unneeded aggrivation.

As for horsepower levels. As soon as I get back to the States I will slap on the Saleen S/C kit. I am not going to do much more to her than that. I want the power available but do not need it all the time. So I would guess somewhere around 400HP.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:47 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

My personal advice is to forgo the Centerforce and get a Spec.

As I posted earlier, they have many different models from "mild to wild". The Stage 2+ seems ideal. It has a very streetable engagement and the holding power is more than you'll need with a mild-to-moderate blower setup. If you were going all-out with 10+ lbs of boost then you might want something a bit stronger, but if you're shooting for 400 RWHP then the Stage 2+ is good.

There are various other options that you can consider as well. You can get the standard clutch, a lightweight steel version, or a billet aluminum version (this is the pressure plate I'm talking about). The lighter versions require less HP to spin, so if you use one of those, you'll see more HP to the wheels.

Spec says that you need to use their flywheel with their clutches. I don't know if that's really true or just "marketing talk", but I went ahead and ordered the Spec aluminum flywheel. As before, this is another way to save some rotating weight. I think it's worthwhile. The only other aluminum flywheel that I know is the Fidanza. It's about the same price and weight as the Spec.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:31 AM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

good, I just ordered the spec 2+ clutch and the aluminum flywheel from lethal performance...I am going to have somebody else put it in because I really don't want to crawl under the car anytime soon. I just put in my s/c a couple of weeks ago and I am a little burned on turning wrenches for a bit.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:19 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Since I dont know much about transmissions.. I guess Ill go ahead and ask.. do autos have flywheels or should I feel stupid for wanting to buy one? lol... I know I dont have a clutch and that I have a torque converter but I havent heard anyone talk about flywheels yet..
Old 09-07-2006, 11:12 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Autos do have something very similar to a flywheel. It's called a Flexplate, but they look very similar to flywheels. The difference is that while the flywheel on a manual trans car is usually heavy, flexplates are not. The typical Flywheel is a fairly thick iron disc, whereas the flexplate is thin (less than 1/8") steel. The flexplate bolts to the crankshaft of the engine, and then the torque converter bolts to it.

Your OEM flexplate is already a lot lighter than even a "lightweight" flywheel would be on a Manual trans car. For some applications you can get lightweight flexplates, but I don't know if those are available for the new 'stangs yet. Even if they were, that's a "splitting hairs" kind of mod. Whereas a flywheel for a manual trans car might be 20+ lbs lighter than stock, we're talking 3-4 lbs tops for lightweight flexplates...that's only really worthwhile for very serious competitors.

On your auto trans car, one of the best performance mods you can make is a higher stall speed torque converter!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:46 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Autos do have something very similar to a flywheel. It's called a Flexplate, but they look very similar to flywheels. The difference is that while the flywheel on a manual trans car is usually heavy, flexplates are not. The typical Flywheel is a fairly thick iron disc, whereas the flexplate is thin (less than 1/8") steel. The flexplate bolts to the crankshaft of the engine, and then the torque converter bolts to it.

Your OEM flexplate is already a lot lighter than even a "lightweight" flywheel would be on a Manual trans car. For some applications you can get lightweight flexplates, but I don't know if those are available for the new 'stangs yet. Even if they were, that's a "splitting hairs" kind of mod. Whereas a flywheel for a manual trans car might be 20+ lbs lighter than stock, we're talking 3-4 lbs tops for lightweight flexplates...that's only really worthwhile for very serious competitors.

On your auto trans car, one of the best performance mods you can make is a higher stall speed torque converter!
The torque converter is definately on my list, right after gears... and -possibly- after a new header setup. Thanks alot Al, once again you enlighten me [8D]