Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Just bought a saleen S/C, couple question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 PM
tcoope13
1st Gear Member

Default Just bought a saleen S/C, couple question.

So I bought the S/C, thanks haney motorsports for the group buy. It should arrive tomorrow. I have a couple questions. First off I would like to get the maximum amount of horsepower from it, I assume a custom dyno tune would do this. I've been quoted at 350 dollars. Is this a fair price? Also I would like to have it professionaly installed, but they want another 750 for that. All in all about 1100. Is that normal? because of the steep price I am considering doing the install myself. I have good mechanical know how, but am no expert when it comes to installing superchargers, and have never attempted something of this magnitude. If I can follow directions, and take my time is it doable? If i get the dyno tune, any idea how much more power I can expect over the canned tune? I am not to thrilled about 360 whp, I would like to be 400-435. Is that possible without a smaller pully? and if I do buy smaller pulley, what else will I need. Injectors? Another person asked if he could use the JLT intake. I am wondering the same thing. Thats a lot of questions I know, sorry. But I want to do it right the first time.

PS does anyone sell a better "canned" tune than saleen. For example could i purchase a tune from evolution and have them email it to me and put it on myself? Or would it be better to just get it done on the dyno. As you can tell im on a budget and want to save wherever i can.
Thanks
Tom
Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just bought a saleen S/C, couple question.

ORIGINAL: tcoope13
PS does anyone sell a better "canned" tune than saleen. For example could i purchase a tune from evolution and have them email it to me and put it on myself? Or would it be better to just get it done on the dyno. As you can tell im on a budget and want to save wherever i can.
Those numbers aren't unreasonable... definitely heard more. It is more important that they have experience on that setup though...

As for canned tunes, yes - JDM/Brenspeed will both sell you "canned" tunes (others may as well - I don't know but have talked to both of them)...

From what I have read, JDM has a LOT more experience with the Saleen specifically than anyone else...

If you basically know your way around an engine and have a good tool set, you should be able to do it yourself, but make sure you read through the instructions a couple times and be honest with yourself (and your tools) about it before getting yourself into trouble...

As for what it will take to get to/over 400RWHP - 39# injectors, tune and smaller pulley are about the minimum - JDM literally has cookbook setups and tunes - you pick your desired power level and they sell you what you need... Starting from bone stock Saleen setup, I would expect to spend at least what you have been quoted for install+tune (actually a bit more) for that though...

If money is tight - start with what you have - get bored and then add more later...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:46 AM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

The s/c is only 50% of the cost. You'll spend what you did on the s/c for all the upgrades, tuning etc... So the prices you've been quoted aren't unreasonable. However, it's all in the tune, tune, tune. Go with JDM, don't even bother with sending the computer to Saleen for theirs and DON'T let some tuner "attempt" to tune it. I had mine installed professionally by a shop that has done tons of these. However, this was the first auto they did and i got mine back with a modified Saleen tune and it was very disapointing. I finally got a JDM tune and it blew me away. The saleen tune is lean and feels worse than stock (until the boost kicks). The JDM Street R tune about ripped the tires off the rims. BIG DIFFERENCE!

I've now got 384rwhp with an auto and all the upgrades (39# injectors, dual fuel pumps, 3.2 pulley, etc..) I pretty happy with it, but i know there's more in there. The OTHER forum has tons of tech info on the Saleen install. Get the upgrade kit (fuel pumps, injectors, plugs, pulley, from JDM with their tunes and you'll be thrilled. Oh, and pay close attention to the vacuum line routing. The other forum has a good explanation and pix on doing it right.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:38 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: BlackPhantomGT
The s/c is only 50% of the cost. You'll spend what you did on the s/c for all the upgrades, tuning etc...
[sm=bs.gif] Just exactly how do you figure that the SC is only 50% of the cost? I can guarentee you that no one out there has spent $5k on a SC and then spent another $5k on upgrades and tuning.

However, it's all in the tune, tune, tune. Go with JDM, don't even bother with sending the computer to Saleen for theirs
That I will agree with. It is definitely all in the tune. And if you are going to use a mail order tune, JDM is definitely the place to go.
I've now got 384rwhp with an auto and all the upgrades (39# injectors, dual fuel pumps, 3.2 pulley, etc..) I pretty happy with it, but i know there's more in there. The OTHER forum has tons of tech info on the Saleen install. Get the upgrade kit (fuel pumps, injectors, plugs, pulley, from JDM with their tunes and you'll be thrilled. Oh, and pay close attention to the vacuum line routing. The other forum has a good explanation and pix on doing it right.
No offense, but if that is all you are getting out of 10lbs, fuel mods, MAF upgrades, etc, you should be pissed. On 10lbs you should be much higher than 384 to the wheels. Mine is nearly 100hp over that. Deduct a little for you having an auto, but just the same, you should be easily in the 450 range.

ORIGINAL: cekim
As for what it will take to get to/over 400RWHP - 39# injectors, tune and smaller pulley are about the minimum - JDM literally has cookbook setups and tunes - you pick your desired power level and they sell you what you need... Starting from bone stock Saleen setup, I would expect to spend at least what you have been quoted for install+tune (actually a bit more) for that though...
I mostly agree. With a knowledgable tuner and a dyno ( not a canned tune ) he should be able to get 400 with injectors and a MAF.

If money is tight - start with what you have - get bored and then add more later...
Absolutely the best advice in the entire thread.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:18 PM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

I stand corrected. 50% is high (unless you blow the motor) Forgive me I do estimates for a living and tend to quote high for CYA reasons. It makes people feel better when it doesn't cost as much as they were told - as opposed to it costing 2x what they were told. Nothing worse than hearing "you said it would cost......:

So you say there's about 60 more HP in there? Can you help me find it?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:43 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

So you say there's about 60 more HP in there? Can you help me find it?
Its hiding somewhere between the timing and fuel tables in your PCM But you have to look reeeaaaalllly close...

I am still working on the "get bored" part with my pidly little 475BHP - calling Jim shortly for a contingency plan on that...

90% of all statistics are made up and only 50% of people realize that...
Old 09-28-2006, 11:30 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Its hiding somewhere between the timing and fuel tables in your PCM But you have to look reeeaaaalllly close...
He may have took that as being a smart ***, but that answer is 1000% correct.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:11 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hawgman

No offense, but if that is all you are getting out of 10lbs, fuel mods, MAF upgrades, etc, you should be pissed. On 10lbs you should be much higher than 384 to the wheels. Mine is nearly 100hp over that. Deduct a little for you having an auto, but just the same, you should be easily in the 450 range.
+1

Manny just tuned mine up with the "0" plugs and all. I have the automatic and only 4psi boost and he got 385 RWHP.

Doc, I recall your 4psi numbers were 401RWHP with the 5 speed manual so the automatic loses about 16HP more at 4psi boost.

Absolutely at 10PSI it should be a helluva lot more than 384 to the wheels! Now that makes me ask this question, Is the boost setup for 4psi and not 8 or 10psi?

Hope this helps.

Mike

Old 09-29-2006, 12:12 AM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman
He may have took that as being a smart ***, but that answer is 1000% correct.
I am sure I don't know what you mean

But yes, the non-flippant answer if you really do have a 3.2 pulley something is amiss there...

Though from JDM, I don't think it is "the tune" unless something has gone horribly wrong...

A 3.4 pulley with that setup should be about 450RWHP (+/- for the auto trans)...

So, a 3.2 should be another good size bump from there... If you do have a 3.2 pulley then I'd data log and look for belt dust under the hood...
Old 09-29-2006, 01:44 AM
tcoope13
1st Gear Member

Well I went ahead and am having it installed and custom dyno tuned. Many people have had their stangs custom tuned by this guy (modular maddness west) I believe they are affiliated with the one in florida. Anyways i have heard nothing but good things from them. I'll let them see what they can get with just the base kit, and go from there. I dropped it off this morning, he said it will be done by tomorrow night. I am way excited.

Quick Reply: Just bought a saleen S/C, couple question.