Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Alum. driveshaft owners.. what did you notice ? and whats my problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Alum. driveshaft owners.. what did you notice ? and whats my problem ?

Order Details
QTY - [Reference ID] Name of Product (Options And Varients) - Price

1 - [] TUBULAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS ( Yes, add grease cartridge. , Adjustable
with rod end/poly combo. TCA021 ) - $269.90 USD
QTY - [Reference ID] Name of Product (Options And Varients) - Price

1 - [] UPPER CONTROL ARMS ( Non-adjustable w/poly bushing, UTCA017 ) -
$129.95 USD

Shipping Total : $21.02 USD
Tax Total : $0.00 USD

Grand Total : $420.87 USD

[8D]
Old 10-06-2006, 09:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Alum. driveshaft owners.. what did you notice ? and whats my problem ?

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: GhostPony

Your illustration is much exagerated in how the 2 -piece driveshaft appears. The driveshaft angle may change but the pinion angle does not change when installing a 1-piece driveshaft.
The stock pinion angle would only be changed by installing lowering springs.
This is corrected by installing adjustable control arms.
Yes, the illustration is exaggerated so that it is easy to understand.

But if the driveshaft angle changes then the pinion angle must change also.

Note that "pinion angle" is not the orientation of the pinion itself. It is the DIFFERENCE in angle between the centerline of the pinion and the centerline of the driveshaft. IF you change EITHER the pinion position OR the driveshaft angle, then you change the pinion angle. For example: Pinion angle = Angle of driveshaft - Angle of pinion gear.

When you switch to a 1-pc shaft, the driveshaft angle changes. Therefore the pinion angle MUST also change becasue the pinion angle is based on driveshaft angle. It is simple geometry.

Installing lowering springs changes the pinion angle, true. But swapping to a 1-pc shaft changes it also. In either case it can be corrected with adjustable control arms (upper or lower).
[sm=owned.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif] Yes Al's angles are exaggerated, but he's right about the pinion angle being different if the driveshaft angle changes. I'm guessing installing a 1 piece driveshaft would be the equivalent of doing a 1.5 inch drop spring as far as pinion angle goes. You'll want some adj. lowers to get the pinion angle back in the negatives.