Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

injectors on a saleen s/c

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:18 PM
tcoope13
1st Gear Member

Default injectors on a saleen s/c

I want to get more power out of my saleen. The guy who did my tune said aside from a smaller pulley, my injectors and fuel pump are maxed out. The injectors i understand, although I dont see how the FP could be maxed considering they nobody else seems to be running new ones and they are pushing a lot more than me. As for the injectors what size do I need and where can I get them. Will stock cobra injectors work? I belive they are 39#? I saw jdm has injectors for sale, but they are 400 so i would rather get used cobra injectors of ebay. What do you all think? anywhere else that has them cheaper?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:58 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: injectors on a saleen s/c

Stock 39lb Cobra injectors are the ones you want. Nothing against JDM, but shop around.
As for the fuel pump, plenty of people have done fuel mods to compensate. You have several options. You can get a BAP, or a GT Supercar fuel pump, or if you want to spend the big $$$ you can go with a Shelby dual pump dual FPDM setup for about $900. You are going to start having fuel concerns around 450ish ( each car is obviously different ).
I run the GT Supercar pump and a BAP on mine, plenty of fuel, duty cycle is not too heavy, and close to 500 to the wheels. You should also start looking in to an upgraded MAF and sensor. You can pick up a Lightning MAF and sensor from buyfordracing.com for around $70, and get the wire harness pigtail from Blueoval for another $30.

In fact, buyfordracing had a Lightning MAF/MAS and 41lb injector combo not too long ago for $385 come to think about it.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
tcoope13
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info, very informative. I do not wish to go more than 425ish to the wheels, will a new fuel pump, and or bap be necissary? also what purpose does a larger maf serve? I have the maf housing off a jlt CAI kit that I was going to use, and then reuse the stock sensor, will that work? Thanks, for the info.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:38 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I would avoid the dual-pump systems. The reasoning goes like this:

Suppose you are out driving and one pump fails. On most cars this means that you loose fuel pressure and the engine simply stalls. If you're running two pumps and one of them quits (for whatever reason) then suddenly your pressure/flow DROPS, but it's not zero. Consequently you can be running very lean for a while before you notice what's wrong--and this can destroy your motor. I know a few Turbo Buick guys who have learned this lesson the hard way.

Stick with ONE pump that's large enough to fulfill your fueling needs.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:30 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Suppose you are out driving and one pump fails. On most cars this means that you loose fuel pressure and the engine simply stalls. If you're running two pumps and one of them quits (for whatever reason) then suddenly your pressure/flow DROPS, but it's not zero. Consequently you can be running very lean for a while before you notice what's wrong--and this can destroy your motor. I know a few Turbo Buick guys who have learned this lesson the hard way.

Somehow I am sure Ford engineers considered scenarios such as this before they designed the Shelby dual pump setup.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:35 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: tcoope13

Thanks for the info, very informative. I do not wish to go more than 425ish to the wheels, will a new fuel pump, and or bap be necissary? also what purpose does a larger maf serve? I have the maf housing off a jlt CAI kit that I was going to use, and then reuse the stock sensor, will that work? Thanks, for the info.

If you are only going to go 425ish I don't see how you are being told that your fuel pump is maxed out. Plenty of people running more power than 425 on the stock fuel pump and lines. Go for the injectors and upgrade your MAF/MAS. Then worry about the pump or a BAP. You don't need it right now.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Royb
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Somehow I am sure Ford engineers considered scenarios such as this before they designed the Shelby dual pump setup.
Exactly right ! if your fuel pump pressure drops too low a code with throw on the dic. The tune can also be changed to meet your specfic requirements & of course with a wide band you can always see when the a/f changes.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Royb
1st Gear Member

the fuel pump is good for 500 rwhp. I'm not sure a bap actually helps much or at least like on the older cars because the CPU controls the pump voltage. I get full fuel pump pressure at 6 volts at the pump according to my datalogs and my A/f is 11.1
Old 10-03-2006, 04:13 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

If you're running a stock saleen s/c you should be putting down about 390rwhp with a safe tune. Injectors, 6lb pulley and MAF should put you right at 425rwhp, there should be no need for fuel pump mods. Gotta figure maybe $800 max for everything. That's about $22 per extra hp. SOme people think the difference between 390 and 425 is negligable with a good driver. I'm still undecided.