Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

improving gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:29 PM
forgotten
1st Gear Member

Default improving gas mileage

What would be some ways to improve gas mileage without sacrificing power(lower gears, etc.)? Or, what would be improvements that improve gas mileage and horsepower and response?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:37 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: improving gas mileage

On any given car, by far, the most radical swing in fuel economy is the drivers style. Keep your car properly maintained with as little weight as possible, keep a close eye on tire pressure and drive with a light right foot. The last part is quite a tall order given the car that you're driving.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:09 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MBDiagMan

On any given car, by far, the most radical swing in fuel economy is the drivers style. Keep your car properly maintained with as little weight as possible, keep a close eye on tire pressure and drive with a light right foot. The last part is quite a tall order given the car that you're driving.

Good luck.
MAJOR +1

Anyway, to elaborate on mods: most of the time, adding HP and adding Mileage are conflicting goals.

An engine is a machine that converts gasoline into power. Most mods that add power are simply mods that enable the engine to burn more gas, thereby making more power. After all, power has to come from somewhere.

For example, aftermarket intakes allow more air to enter the motor. This additional air enables the engine to spray in a little bit more gas, and that's where the HP gains come from.

If your primary concern is mileage, then you need to focus on mods that improve the efficiency of the engine or the car in general--not those that add HP outright.

Mods that remove weight from the car, especially rotating weight, can increase your mileage. There are a couple of threads (including a very recent one) about weight savings. Remove all the un-needed weight that you can, especially rotating weight.

UDPs will free up some parisitic HP loss, that will give you a small milege boost.

If you drive on the highway a lot, consider taller gears.

Intake and exhaust mods CAN under some circumstances provide you with mileage as well....but as in all cases, it mainly comes down to your foot. If you put on UDPs and then drive around with a lead foot, your mileage will go DOWN, not up.

Also, if you plan on doing this from a cost perspective, do your homework first. A $300 mod will pay for a LOT of gas, especially when you're talking about gaining a small amount of mileage from the mod. It may well be cheaper to just pay the gas bill.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:57 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: forgotten

What would be some ways to improve gas mileage without sacrificing power(lower gears, etc.)? Or, what would be improvements that improve gas mileage and horsepower and response?
+1 to CrazyAl

Drive like you have an egg under your right foot!!!

Taller gears on the highway will help as well, but your acceleration will suffer, but heavy acceleration violates the first rule above!

Looks like 3.08 is the tallest gear that comes from FRPP:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...rtKeyField=833

So if you have a manual with the 0.68:1 OD you will have a final drive ratio of 2.0944

If you have an automatic with the 0.75:1 OD you will have a final drive ratio of 2.31

Those are real tall highway gears!

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 10-08-2006, 05:05 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Use wheels/tires that weight less.
Less weight in the car.
More air in your tires.
Steeda KVR 2-pc rotors
In other words, less rotational mass/weight and less resistance to rolling.
Will these mods pay for the gas, I doubt it, your foot will save the most gas, watch that throttle!
Old 10-08-2006, 05:52 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

A 93 octane tune with the stock air box will give a slight increase in gas mileage at least it did for me. I drove around like that for a while, then I installed my Steeda intake (my mileage dropped after that.)
Old 10-09-2006, 11:52 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeVistaBlue06

+1 to CrazyAl

Drive like you have an egg under your right foot!!!

Taller gears on the highway will help as well, but your acceleration will suffer, but heavy acceleration violates the first rule above!

Looks like 3.08 is the tallest gear that comes from FRPP:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...rtKeyField=833

So if you have a manual with the 0.68:1 OD you will have a final drive ratio of 2.0944

If you have an automatic with the 0.75:1 OD you will have a final drive ratio of 2.31

Those are real tall highway gears!

Hope this helps.

Mike
if you go to tall, they will hurt, because u will be forced to push the pedal down more to accelerate the same and thus loose milage, my buddies 99 GT with 4.10s installed actually went UP in the city
Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

welcome. now i must say it saddens me that your
already stressing about 1-2 mpg. imo, you'll never
truly enjoy the car, until you say f the mileage...

and imo, there are zero (practical, cost effective) ways
to improve your gas guzzling efficiency

good luck and post some pics when you can
Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

take your foot off the accelerator cause mine is to the floor all the time thats why i get 14.2 mpg
Old 10-11-2006, 01:41 PM
frodaddi
1st Gear Member

Funny timing to see this thread. I have a stock except for FRPP suspension pack 06 GT manual. The past few days I have been trying to drive with an eye towards fuel economy just to see what is possible around town if I make an effort.

With fresh air in the tires @ 32 PSI all around, the A/C off, shifting early and an extra-light right foot I have been able to manage right at 20 MPG on my normal around town commute. This is 100% suburban surface street driving, zero freeway miles. I have found that the main thing that hammers fuel economy (besides the right foot) is being stuck in stop and go traffic. If the traffic is flowing, 20 in town is possible.

BTW normally I have been getting more like 16.5 (or less) around town.

Kevin.

Quick Reply: improving gas mileage