MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   Solid Motor Mounts and Torque Limiters (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/193953-solid-motor-mounts-and-torque-limiters.html)

06hoss 10-17-2006 12:27 PM

Solid Motor Mounts and Torque Limiters

Do any of you guys have solid motor mounts and/or torque limiters (CHE...connect to K member brace)? I was wondering if you did have either of these mods, if you felt any increased vibration from the engine. I am eventually going to install LT headers (JBAs) and they recommend that you convert the stock motor mounts to solid mounts to prevent the motor from torquing around and causing clearance problems for the headers (as well as causing leaks by that). CHE states that their torque limiters won't get in the way of most LTHdrs with the exception of SLPs so I thought that if the solid motor mounts caused too much vibration that I may leave in the liquid ones and use the torques limiters instead. What do you think?

CrazyAl 10-17-2006 12:47 PM

RE: Solid Motor Mounts and Torque Limiters

I have the "Bullet" prothane motor mounts. They are not solid metal, they are a firm polyurethane material. They increased vibration a little bit, but not significantly in my opinion.

I do not have the CHE K-member torque brace.

Personally, my thoughts are that if one of them caused too much vibration then the other one ought to do the same, but it would be nice to hear from those that have them. The CHE torque brace is fairly popular around here. Several guys have them, but I have yet to hear anyone complain about excess vibration.

06hoss 10-17-2006 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info CrazyAl. I was thinking the same thing about if won't didn't pick up the vibration the other one would, but wasn't sure if the mounts wouldn't pick up more since they actually bear the weight of the engine.
Also glad to hear you have the "bullet" motor mounts since those are the ones I was looking at. They are quite a bit cheaper than the ones that Steeda sells (about $100 cheaper). I'll probably change the motor mounts first when the headers go in and at the same time add the K member brace. I'll add the torque limiter bars to the K member brace later when I finally add a blower (or if I have trouble finding 3rd gear). I like the CHE K member brace better than the BMR brace due to the provision for the torque limiter bars. I also noticed that CHE has rear LCAs that a little bit nicer than the BMRs since they have a couple of clamps on the driver side bar for the e brake cable...plus they are about $20 cheaper.

CrazyAl 10-17-2006 02:50 PM

The bullet mounts are very nice quality, and like you said they are much cheaper than the Steedas. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

As for the LCAs, I would be wary of the CHEs. Yes, they do have the bracket for mounting the parking brake cable. But, on the other hand, they don't have grease fittings for lubricating the bushings. The BMR and Spohn ones do. No grease fittings is a big negative IMHO. The parking brake cable is easily secured with a zip tie.

CrazyAl 10-17-2006 02:53 PM

The bullet mounts are very nice quality, and like you said they are much cheaper than the Steedas. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

As for the LCAs, I would be wary of the CHEs. Yes, they do have the bracket for mounting the parking brake cable. But, on the other hand, they don't have grease fittings for lubricating the bushings. The BMR and Spohn ones do. No grease fittings is a big negative IMHO. The parking brake cable is easily secured with a zip tie.

06hoss 10-17-2006 03:11 PM

I'm not sure CrazyAL, but I think the reason that the CHEs don't have grease fittings is because the are made of Delrin and Polyurethane where the BMRs are just made of Poly. CHE said they don't squeak. Anybody out there have CHE rear LCAs? Any squeaks?

06hoss 10-17-2006 03:15 PM

Here's what CHE says...it looks like it is the use of Delrin that eliminates the need to grease the LCAs:
************************************************** **********************************

Poly/Delrin Control Arm Bushings

All of our control arms feature our exclusive Polyurethane/Delrin bushings.

Best of both worlds
You get all of the performance advantages of polyurethane and Delrin without the annoying squeaks of solid polyurethane, or the risk of torque box damage of solid Delrin.

Low Maintenance
Our Poly/Delrin bushings virtually eliminate the need for greasing. No more hassle of squeezing a jack under your car or dealing with messy grease guns.

Low Friction
The Delrin Bearing is machined to a high tolerance allowing an ideal clearance between the crush sleeve and the Delrin Bearing. This provides nearly friction free movement without compromising stability.

CrazyAl 10-17-2006 03:21 PM

Interesting. I've never tried the CHEs so I can't say for certain. But I am skeptical--I do know that guys who use Delrin bushings on their T-Type Buicks end up greasing them to prevent squeaks. The Delrin control arms are a very popular mod in the T-Type/Grand National crowd.

moosestang 10-17-2006 06:04 PM

I have them and they don't sqeak yet. I've put about 800 miles on them I think, maybe less. mine don't have a place to attach the parking brake cable though. I just used a black zip tie.

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

I'm not sure CrazyAL, but I think the reason that the CHEs don't have grease fittings is because the are made of Delrin and Polyurethane where the BMRs are just made of Poly. CHE said they don't squeak. Anybody out there have CHE rear LCAs? Any squeaks?

CrazyAl 10-17-2006 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I have them and they don't sqeak yet. I've put about 800 miles on them I think, maybe less. mine don't have a place to attach the parking brake cable though. I just used a black zip tie.
It sounds like CHE might be onto something! Let us know how they work with more miles on them!