Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Flywheel opinion/warranty issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:16 PM
CTGT2005
1st Gear Member

Default Flywheel opinion/warranty issues?

Finally got around to ording a centerforce dual friction clutch. Now while I am in there it only makes sense to go the extra step and swap out the flywheel. Pretty much as far as I can tell I have only a few options while still being reasonably affordable, spec and fidanza. I have no experience with either company, but from the little I have gathered, Spec seems to be more reputable. Anyone with experience with either the Spec of fidanza flywheel? Also whats the weight on the aluminum spec flywheel? I know the fidanza is 12 pounds.

Also, I do have mild concern about the warranty of both the engine and the transmission when swapping out any factory parts for aftermarket. I do realize that the Magnuson Moss Warranty act does state that a manufacturer cannot void a warranty due to addition of an aftermarket part without a viable reason for doing so. If for some reason down the road I happen to run into warranty issues with either engine or tranmission will the clutch or flywheel render the warranty void?

Thanks
Greg
Old 11-02-2006, 08:50 PM
CTGT2005
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Flywheel opinion/warranty issues?

Ok, well I guess I answered my own question. I called Ford, the flywheel wont void the warranty, unless it can proven that a design flaw or problem with the installation damaged the engine or transmission.

I decided to go with the Fidanza Alum flywheel as I was told it will not cause daily drivability issues with the 05+ mustang. With any luck Its going in this weekend.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:23 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CTGT2005

Ok, well I guess I answered my own question. I called Ford, the flywheel wont void the warranty, unless it can proven that a design flaw or problem with the installation damaged the engine or transmission.

I decided to go with the Fidanza Alum flywheel as I was told it will not cause daily drivability issues with the 05+ mustang. With any luck Its going in this weekend.
Just to let you know an aluminium flywheel will help your low end but in the high end it will kill you. You need the rotating mass for high speed reving.

Att. Andrew
Old 11-03-2006, 10:52 AM
CTGT2005
1st Gear Member

I thought the logic behind a lightweight flywheel was there is less reciprocating mass which allows the engines torque to be used more efficiently. But it would lose acceleration off the start due to a lesser point of inertia when the clutch is released.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:00 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The flywheel/clutch are parts that wear out and are commonly replaced, a lot like brake pads and discs.

This is one part that I would SERIOIUSLY doubt anyone would give you warranty hassles over.

A lightweight flywheel reduces the inertia of the rotating components of the engine. It is just like a lightweight driveshaft or lighter wheels. It will reduce the load on the engine, making it rev faster. It is MOST beneficial at higher RPM. The faster the engine spins, the "worse" extra inertia (rotatin weight) hurts you.

The downside to a lightweight flywheel is that it makes it easier to stall the engine when taking off if you aren't good with the clutch.

As far as I know, the Spec flywheels are lighter than the Fidanza, but they are also designed specifically for the Spec clutches. The Fidanza flywheel is a stock replacement. If you already have a centerforce clutch, the Fidanza would be the logical choice.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:16 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: CTGT2005

I thought the logic behind a lightweight flywheel was there is less reciprocating mass which allows the engines torque to be used more efficiently. But it would lose acceleration off the start due to a lesser point of inertia when the clutch is released.
You will see faster 10+mph speeds, but in the long end they will hurt your top end speed.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:53 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

You will see faster 10+mph speeds, but in the long end they will hurt your top end speed.
[/quote]

I see absolutely no reason why this makes any sense. More power will be able to be transferred from the engine to the rear wheels and this is going to hurt the top speed how? Must be some new laws of physics involved there. I understand the reason why starting off may be more difficult and even rpm's dropping off more quickly in between shifts but there's no way the top end should be negatively affected. If anything, IMHO, I believe just the opposite to be true since the energy not being wasted to turn a heavier flywheel can be used to combat wind resistance. The same should hold true with an aluminum drive shaft.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:43 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Ever raced a race car or one with the flywheel changed? At high speeds you need the help of the rotating mass to help the torque fight against the wind. Just change your flywheel to the lightest one available and you will see my point. The fidanza is designed as a stock replacement for the flywheel. The one that comes with the spec clutch is designed to work that aftermarket clutch.

Att. Andrew
Old 11-05-2006, 08:07 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Centerforce now has aluminum and billet flywheels for our cars. I saw them in MM&FF they didn't give a price though