Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Longtube Install by me

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:11 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Longtube Install by me

Well this will be my second set of longtubes being installed on a 05 up mustang the first being a friend of mines v6 that came out sounding like **** cause it was a six cylinder, and now my 06 GT that i'm putting SLP longtubes and off road x-pipe on...i was just wondering if anyone has installed headers on their own 05-up GT and if they ran into any problems with anything....can't wait for the loudness lol i've gotta make some neighbors angry lol
Old 10-30-2006, 12:08 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Longtube Install by me

There are a lot of past posts about this. SEARCH and you'll have a lot to read.

A few tips:

1, you will need a 5mm 1/4"-drive socket (And the matching rachet of course). This is an odd size. Make sure you have one.
2, get a 13mm "gear wrench", the flex-head type. Google for that if you don't know what it is. Having that will save you a TON of time and your knuckles will thank you for it.

I've installed a total of 4 sets, it's not bad at all, really. Those are the only two tips I'd have--everything else is straightforward and the other tools you'll need are very common.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:19 AM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

yeah the install on the six was easy so i figured it would be the same on my GT just with 2 more cylinders
Old 10-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Haulupki
1st Gear Member

I'm doing a set of KooK's long tubes right now. If your doing it on the floor (no lift), you will need some jack stands (the taller the better) and at least a bottle jack or something simular to jack up the engine. In one night I got the stock manifolds and mid pipe off. The next morning I Installed the passenger side header. Tonight I will do the drivers side header and X pipe. You will also most likely have to take off the starter and engine mount brackets. Anyway it is not a horrible job. I've been invlved in much worse. It helps to have a chum around to get you the tools you need while your under the car. I'm sore as hell from getting up and down on the concrete.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Haulupki
It helps to have a chum around to get you the tools you need while your under the car. I'm sore as hell from getting up and down on the concrete.
Isnt that what a wife is for????
Old 10-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Haulupki
1st Gear Member

yes........... amung other things
Old 10-30-2006, 06:52 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

i plan on getting some 24" jack stands and i have a jack that will lift the car to 26" so i think i'm good there, and i will be using a friend also
Old 10-30-2006, 08:00 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

O.K., so I have access to a lift and will be doing my Kooks install. Never done it before, but have the Dynotech instructions (thx Al) and also an awesome write up with pics from TMS. Everyone that's done it has advise based on having the car on stands. So here is my question when having it on a lift. When it's time to lift the motor, does the lift get lowered to use a regular jack under the motor? At which time I'm doing the install on your back, or do I use a transmission jack, in which case the car is too high to get to the engine bay. This is the only part that has me confused about using the lift.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:04 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Normally when a pro mechanic has to support something (like the engine in this case) under a lift, they have a special device for it. It's basically a very tall jackstand with a screw on the top. You can turn the screw to raise/lower the "saddle" at the top of the stand. This lets you support or raise the front of the engine.

If you don't have one of these you can simply lower the lift enough such that you can use a traditional bottle jack.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:14 PM
limer06stang
3rd Gear Member

well i've heard people using the bottle jack to lift the engine and those who haven't touched anything and just slid the headers into place...i don't really have experience with loosening the motor mounts and jacking the engine up with a bottle jack is there anything that could go wrong when i do that??

Quick Reply: Longtube Install by me