Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford mechanics' advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 06:23 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ford mechanics' advice

As for ski, dude...I couldn't get a straight answer out of this guy! I asked him WTF he was talking about because I only know of one clutch. So I made it clear that I only know of one clutch and it's under my foot. He started talking about how a lot of people don't know that the secret to horsepower is transmission work. Ok,...great. I got my pen and some paper and asked him to tell me what "clutches" he is talking about. He didn't know. I think what he was telling me was "hear say".
Old 11-03-2006, 06:51 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cboisits

I was talking to a Ford mechanic today, and he said that a lot of people don't know it but the secret to gaining horsepower is transmission work and working on the clutches. Clutches? What is he talking about? The only clutch I know about is the one under my foot. Can anyone out there get me a clue.

By the way!!! Every time I start my car in the morning when she's cold, blue smoke comes out for about 5 seconds and then stops. It DOES have an odor.
Same here, but only for a second the is OK. Same with a 2004 Expedition I have. Don't think is a big deal.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:15 AM
07Grabber

i have worked for ford for 15 years in service, if all of them do it, consider it a normal characteristic and leave well enough alone if
the condition does not get progressively worse,
Old 11-05-2006, 06:11 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Got to be an Auto he was "sharing his secret" about. I have made dozens of test and tune runs just to get my auto tranny dialed in the way it needed to be. I have Changed shift points, line presure (clutch holding power), converter lock-up schedules and redid EVERYTHING with the downshift and kickdown schedules. I am not trying to start a war, but my auto will sit side by side with all but the best driven standards (assuming comparable engine mods). It never misses a shift, shifts quicker and more solid than a standard. The only thing I miss is being able to launch at 4000+ rpm. However with practice i have gotten pretty good at the launch as well.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:49 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

As for ski, dude...I couldn't get a straight answer out of this guy! I asked him WTF he was talking about because I only know of one clutch. So I made it clear that I only know of one clutch and it's under my foot. He started talking about how a lot of people don't know that the secret to horsepower is transmission work. Ok,...great. I got my pen and some paper and asked him to tell me what "clutches" he is talking about. He didn't know. I think what he was telling me was "hear say".
Thanks for the explanation. But you have to remember that we are not mind readers, so inserting the above details in your initial post would have prevented my question.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:00 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Transmissions do not "make" hp. You can free up some power by going with lighter parts, or you can make the trans work more efficiently but using better clutchs and a higher stall with a different STR ratio in an auto. Sounds like the guy was just trying to impress you with "secret" knowledge.