Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford mechanics' advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:38 AM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford mechanics' advice

I was talking to a Ford mechanic today, and he said that a lot of people don't know it but the secret to gaining horsepower is transmission work and working on the clutches. Clutches? What is he talking about? The only clutch I know about is the one under my foot. Can anyone out there get me a clue.

By the way!!! Every time I start my car in the morning when she's cold, blue smoke comes out for about 5 seconds and then stops. It DOES have an odor.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:43 AM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford mechanics' advice

blue smoke...not sure about that. But the clutch, he's talking minimal horsepower gains, like N/A dragging, needing every ounce of power u can get. Ur not gonna get any monsterous gains from switching out ur clutch to a king cobra clutch (good clutch) if they even make it for the new 05-07 GT i have no idea.
-Mike
Old 11-02-2006, 10:38 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Hey may be talking about an automatic transmission.

If you have an automatic, there is a LOT of speed to be had by simply adjusting the shift points of the transmission. All of the pro drag racers run automatics for this very reason.

As far as manual transmissions go, you can free up a lot of HP by switching to a lightweight flywheel and pressure plate.

The most common reason people upgrade clutches is to stop slippage after doing other engine mods.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

more than likely he is talking about an automatic, one of the most common upgrades for an a/t build is heavier/more clutches allowing a solider lockup and those teeth jarring shifts when you set the shift points right.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:17 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

If you did not understand what the mechanic was talking about, then why didn't you just ask him?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:39 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

Who said he asked? and your off topic, help the guy out if you have something informative to say if not go kick rocks, troll.

I heard the smoke comes from residual oil from sitting and isn't a big concern, but this theory has never been proven as concrete.

ORIGINAL: ski

If you did not understand what the mechanic was talking about, then why didn't you just ask him?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:50 PM
stangmomasc
2nd Gear Member

Our 06 does the same thing....blue smoke only in the mornings on cold start........otherwise it runs fine.....
Old 11-03-2006, 03:29 AM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

It seems like everyone has the blue smoke. Everyone has there input but I'd like to see what FORD has to say about it.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:13 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackSpirit

Who said he asked? and your off topic, help the guy out if you have something informative to say if not go kick rocks, troll.
Nobody said he asked. And that's my exact point. Why didn't he just ask the mechanic? It's a no-brainer when compared to bringing the mechanic's comment here for others to guess as to what the mechanic meant.
And BTW, giving someone a helpful suggestion for future reference is also considered being informative. So lighten up.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

I'm with Ski on this one. Why didn't he ask? I know I would have.

Quick Reply: Ford mechanics' advice